Premier League Preview: Swansea - Sunderland
New signings Pablo Hernandez and Adam Johnson could both feature on Saturday, as Michael Laudrup's men aim for three points to equal their longest winning streak in the top flight.
By Joe Wright
Rangel, Chico, Williams, Ranger
De Guzman, Michu, Britton
Dyer, Graham, Routledge
Brown, Cuellar, Kilgallon, O'Shea
McClean, Cattermole, Gardner, Johnson
Michael Laudrup is unlikely to tinker with a Swansea side which has taken maximum points from its opening two Premier League games without conceding a goal.
Scott Sinclair is likely to have completed a switch to champion Manchester City before Saturday afternoon, leaving Wayne Routledge and Nathan Dyer to continue out wide, with Danny Graham leading the line in attack. New signing Pablo Hernandez could well earn a place on the bench.
Martin O'Neill may well opt for a 4-5-1 system in a bid to stifle the Swans midfield, with Stephane Sessegnon, who has just penned a new three-year deal with the club, likely to start in behind Steven Fletcher. Adam Johnson could be in line to make his Premier League debut for the Black Cats, with Sebastian Larsson set for the bench.
Wes Brown (knee) and David Vaughan (hernia) will not be risked, while Phil Bardsley (ankle) remains sidelined until after the international break.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Swansea has won its last three Premier League matches in a row, losing just one in seven.
- Midfielder Michu (pictured, right) has a perfect shots-to-goals ratio so far this season, having scored three times from three efforts on target.
- The Swans have scored eight goals from just 11 shots on target so far this season
- Despite the season being in its infancy, Michael Laudrup's side will equal its longest winning streak of last season with victory on Saturday.
- The Swans failed to score against the Black Cats in both matches last season - only three other sides managed to shut out the Welsh outfit.
- Sunderland is without a win in its last eight Premier League matches, failing to score in five of those.
- Martin O'Neill's side has only picked up 13 points in its last 15 games.
- Its 2-0 win over Swansea back in January was its only win over the Welsh side in eight attempts.
Top 3 Predictions
Swansea City 2-1 Sunderland
- 18.29 %
Swansea City 2-0 Sunderland
- 13.68 %
Swansea City 3-0 Sunderland
- 9.57 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 29, 2013||Sunderland 0 - Swansea City 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 1, 2012||Swansea City 2 - Sunderland 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 21, 2012||Sunderland 2 - Swansea City 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 27, 2011||Swansea City 0 - Sunderland 0|
|May 19, 2013||Swansea City 0 - Fulham 3||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Manchester United 2 - Swansea City 1||EPL|
|May 7, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Swansea City 0 - Manchester City 0||EPL|
|Apr 28, 2013||Chelsea 2 - Swansea City 0||EPL|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|