Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Arsenal
Brendan Rodgers' men secured a hard-fought draw against champion Manchester City in their last outing and face an Arsenal side yet to score this year.
By James Burford
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique
Sahin, Gerrard, Allen
Downing, Suarez, Sterling
Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Cazorla, Arteta, Diaby
Gervinho, Giroud, Podolski
Nuri Sahin is set to make his Liverpool debut in the heart of midfield after Lucas (thigh) was ruled out for up to three months after hobbling off in the opening stages of the 2-2 draw with Manchester City.
Daniel Agger is likely to return from suspension to replace Sebastian Coates in defense but youngster Raheem Sterling is poised to make another start having impressed against Roberto Mancini's side last time out.
For Arsenal, Vito Mannone could continue to deputize in goal with Wojciech Szczesny and Lukas Fabianski both still struggling for match fitness.
Bacary Sagna's long-term leg injury means Carl Jenkinson will again step in at right back, with the France defender set to return to training after the upcoming international break. Fellow international teammate Laurent Koscielny (calf) faces a late fitness test.
The continuing transfer speculation surrounding Theo Walcott could mean that Gervinho will again feature from the start, in support of Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski, while Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain should appear from the bench.
Jack Wilshere (ankle), Emmanuel Frimpong (knee) and Tomas Rosicky (thigh) all remain long-term absentees.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has won just one of its last 10 Premier League games against Arsenal.
- New signing Joe Allen (pictured, right) has an 85 percent passing accuracy in the attacking half of the pitch, alongside a 100 percent passing accuracy in the defensive half.
- Liverpool has picked up just 19 points from 21 Premier League games during 2012.
- Only Arsenal (19 percent) has a worse shooting accuracy than Liverpool in the Premier League this season (24 percent).
- There have been seven goals scored in the 90th minute or later in the last seven Premier League games between Liverpool and Arsenal, and five in the last four.
- Liverpool - Arsenal at Anfield has seen the joint-most own goals of any fixture in Premier League history with four.
- Arsenal has allowed the joint-fewest shots on target against it this season.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-0 Arsenal
- 15.33 %
Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal
- 14.4 %
Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal
- 10.49 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 30, 2013||Arsenal 2 - Liverpool 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 2, 2012||Liverpool 0 - Arsenal 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 3, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Arsenal 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 20, 2011||Arsenal 0 - Liverpool 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 17, 2011||Arsenal 1 - Liverpool 1|
|May 19, 2013||Liverpool 1 - QPR 0||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Fulham 1 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|Apr 21, 2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|25||José Reina Paez||Goalkeeper|