Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Manchester City
The reigning champion visits Anfield without last season's top scorer, Sergio Aguero, as the team hunts down an eighth consecutive Premier League win.
By Josh Clarke
Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique
Gerrard, Lucas, Allen
Borini, Suarez, Downing
Zabaleta, Lescott, Kompany, Clichy
Rodwell, Yaya Toure
Nasri, Tevez, Silva
Brendan Rodgers opted to rest several key figures for Thursday night's Europa League qualification clash against Hearts in anticipation for the visit of the Premier League champion.
Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Glen Johnson should all be recalled to the Reds’ starting XI. Jose Enrique could also be back in contention after missing the opening game of the season due to a knock sustained in training.
Daniel Agger serves a one-match suspension after his red card against West Brom, while both Andy Carroll and Joe Cole (hamstrings) are unlikely to feature.
Roberto Mancini will have to make do without the services of Sergio Aguero (knee) for a month after the striker was stretchered off last Sunday against Southampton. Mario Balotelli is likely to have recovered sufficiently from conjunctivitis to step in to partner Carlos Tevez up front.
Gareth Barry (hernia) and Micah Richards (ankle) continue to be absent for the visiting side, meaning that Jack Rodwell should be able to build upon his debut last week, with another run out at Anfield.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has not lost at home to Manchester City since May 2003, when Nicolas Anelka's late winner was enough to overcome Milan Baros' opener, on the Frenchman's return to Anfield.
- The Reds' 3-0 loss to West Brom last week was their worst ever opening to a Premier League campaign.
The last penalty Liverpool scored was Steven Gerrard's against City on Jan. 25 earlier this year.
- If Jose Reina (right) starts as expected he will equal Graeme Souness and Alan Kennedy's appearance record of 359 for the club.
- After playing against Hearts midweek Joe Allen has now made 100 passes for Liverpool in two competitive appearances, with 96 of them finding their target.
- Manchester City has now won seven Premier League matches on the bounce.
- In between the years 2010 and 2012, Joe Hart is the top-flight goalkeeper who has kept the most clean sheets with 35. Liverpool's Reina is in second place, with 26.
- Liverpool turned down a 20 million pound bid from City for central defender Daniel Agger this summer.
- The last game Roberto Mancini's side did not win was the 1-0 reverse at Emirates Stadium on April 8, a defeat that, at the time, looked like ending the club's hopes of sealing the Premier League title.
- Samir Nasri and Carlos Tevez have started the season in form. Both the Frenchman and Argentine netted in City's Community Shield win over Chelsea and the team's opening victory against Southampton.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City
- 20.19 %
Liverpool 2-0 Manchester City
- 9.76 %
Liverpool 1-3 Manchester City
- 9.73 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 3, 2013||Manchester City 2 - Liverpool 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 26, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Manchester City 2|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||Jan 25, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Manchester City 2|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||Jan 11, 2012||Manchester City 0 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 3, 2012||Manchester City 3 - Liverpool 0|
|Dec 15, 2013||Tottenham 0 - Liverpool 5||EPL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed