International Friendly Preview: Argentina - Brazil
Alejandro Sabella's side will be at full strength when they take on a relatively inexperienced Selecao outfit in their final warm-up game before the tournament in England
By Tom Webber
Zabaleta, Garay, Masch'no, Fern'z, Rodrig'z
Salvio, Gago, Di Maria
Danilo, Juan, Bruno Uvini, Marcelo
Hulk, Oscar, Neymar
Alejandro Sabella's side is coming into the match off the back off an impressing 4-0 win over Ecuador in World Cup qualifying. Despite that the 57-year-old has sought to shake things up and has been testing out a 5-3-2 in training that would see Javier Mascherano move into the defense.
However, with Mascherano and Sergio Aguero picking up bookings in that match that rule them out of the Albiceleste's next qualifier, Sabella could choose to line up in a 4-4-2 but opt for different personnel. Agustin Orion is likely to be given a chance between the sticks at the expense of Sergio Romero.
Brazil's Olympic hopefuls impressed with wins over both Denmark and the United States in the past two weeks before a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Mexico brought expectations back down to earth.
Mano Menezes faces one key injury worry with Thiago Silva unlikely to recover from a knock in time for the clash. Bruno Uvini will thus partner Juan Jesus at the back, giving Brazil a defense with an average age of just over 21.
The rest of the team is likely to remain the same but Menezes may decide to bring in a new name to the attack with Hulk possibly making way for Wellington Nem.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This will be the 98th meeting between the two nations with Argentina narrowly trailing its close rival. It has just 35 wins to Brazil's 37.
- Argentina has won just once in the last eight occasions that the pair has met, suffering five defeats in the process.
- The loss to Mexico last weekend brought an end to eight consecutive wins for Brazil.
- The Selecao came out on top the last time these two teams met. A 2-0 victory was enough to claim the newly-instated Superclasico de las America trophy on aggregate.
- With Mano Menzes using the friendly to choose his Under-23 side for the Olympic Games, Botafogo goalkeeper Jefferson is the oldest member of the squad at just 28 years of age.
Top 3 Predictions
Argentina 3-1 Brazil
- 18.24 %
Argentina 2-1 Brazil
- 12.13 %
Argentina 1-2 Brazil
- 9.27 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 21, 2012||Argentina 2 - Brazil 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 19, 2012||Brazil 2 - Argentina 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Jun 9, 2012||Argentina 4 - Brazil 3|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 28, 2011||Brazil 2 - Argentina 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 14, 2011||Argentina 0 - Brazil 0|
|Mar 5, 2014||Romania 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|Nov 18, 2013||Argentina 2 - Bosnia 0||FR|
|Nov 15, 2013||Ecuador 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Uruguay 3 - Argentina 2||WCQS|
|Oct 11, 2013||Argentina 3 - Peru 1||WCQS|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed