International Friendly Preview: USA - Brazil
Coming off a big win against Scotland, the USA will test itself against the Selecao at FedEx Field.
By Seth Vertelney
|USA (4-3-3): Howard, Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Johnson; Bradley, Edu, Jones; Donovan, Altidore, Torres.|
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
|Brazil (4-2-2-2): Jefferson; Danilo, Silva, Juan, Marcelo; Sandro, Romulo; Lucas, Oscar; Hulk, Neymar.
Goalkeepers: Jefferson (Botafogo), Neto (Fiorentina), Rafael (Santos)
Defenders: Danilo (Porto), Juan (Inter Milan), David Luiz (Chelsea), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Alex Sandro (Porto), Thiago Silva (Milan), Bruno Uvini (Spurs), Rafael (Manchester United)
Midfielders: Casemiro (Sao Paulo), Giuliano (Dnipro), Lucas (Sao Paulo), Wellington Nem (Fluminense), Oscar (Internacional), Romulo (Vasco de Gama), Sandro (Spurs)
Forwards: Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Hulk (Porto), Neymar (Santos), Alexandre Pato (Milan)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The USA opened its five-game stretch with a 5-1 win against Scotland on Saturday. Landon Donovan had a hat trick in his first national team match since September 2011.
- The same day, Brazil started its four-match tour leading to the Olympics with a 3-1 win over Denmark. Hulk scored two goals.
- USA midfielder Clint Dempsey missed the Scotland match with a groin injury. He's hopeful of returning for the Brazil game, but may have to settle for a spot on the bench.
- Brazil will be without three players originally named to its roster: Dani Alves, Paulo Henrique Ganso, and David Luiz. All are out with injury.
There have been over 55,000 tickets sold for the match, which is expected to set an all-time attendance record for a friendly in the Washington, D.C. area.
The USA is 1-15-0 all-time against Brazil, with the win coming in 1998. The last meeting between the two was a 2-0 Brazil victory in a friendly in August 2010.
- The match will kick off on May 30 at 8:00 p.m. ET, and will be broadcast live on ESPN2, ESPN3, and TeleFutura
Top 3 Predictions
USA 1-3 Brazil
- 14.94 %
USA 1-2 Brazil
- 10.46 %
USA 0-3 Brazil
- 9.82 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||May 30, 2012||USA 1 - Brazil 4|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Aug 10, 2010||USA 0 - Brazil 2|
|FIFA Confederations Cup (FCC)||Jun 28, 2009||USA 2 - Brazil 3|
|FIFA Confederations Cup (FCC)||Jun 18, 2009||USA 0 - Brazil 3|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 9, 2007||USA 2 - Brazil 4|
|Nov 19, 2013||Austria 1 - USA 0||FR|
|Nov 15, 2013||Scotland 0 - USA 0||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Panama 2 - USA 3||WCQN|
|Oct 11, 2013||USA 2 - Jamaica 0||WCQN|
|Sep 10, 2013||USA 2 - Mexico 0||WCQN|