thumbnail Hello,

FA Cup

  • April 14, 2012
  • • 7:30 AM
  • • Wembley Stadium, London
  • Referee: H. Webb
  • • Attendance: 87231

Liverpool 2-1 Everton: Late Carroll header completes turnaround as Reds secure FA Cup final spot

Kenny Dalglish's side secure place for return to Wembley in May as strikes from Luis Suarez and England international complete second-half turnaround

Liverpool came from behind to secure its place in the FA Cup final after beating Everton 2-1 at Wembley thanks to a Luis Suarez strike and a late Andy Carroll header.

The Toffees opened the scoring when Jamie Carragher’s nervy clearance ricocheted off Tim Cahill and fell into the path of the Nikica Jelavic who slotted the ball past Brad Jones in the 24th minute.

Liverpool however responded in the second half after the Uruguayan striker capitalized on a mistake by Sylvain Distin to coolly poke the ball past Tim Howard to get his side back in the game.

Dalglish’s side took the lead with just four minutes to go as Carroll leaped the highest in the area to head Craig Bellamy’s free kick past Howard to send Liverpool to the final.

The Reds made six changes to the team that beat Blackburn on Tuesday. Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Stewart Downing were all recalled to the starting line-up. Brad Jones started his first game replacing the suspended Alexander Doni

David Moyes made five changes to his Everton side that comfortably beat Sunderland on Monday. Tim Cahill, Nikica Jelavic, Leighton Baines, Sylvain Distin and Darron Gibson all came into the lineup after missing the victory over the Black Cats.

Kenny Dalglish’s side started the game well and had the first real opportunity as Carroll was put behind the Toffees defense by Glen Johnson. The striker cut the ball back to Jay Spearing on the edge of the area who shot first time but his effort went just over the bar.

The game was scrappy in the early stages as both teams looked nervy. This showed when Agger smashed his free kick into the wall and the Toffees failed to clear as a result the ball was knocked back into the area for Skrtel but he could only shoot straight at Tim Howard.

Despite no side dominating it was the Blues who took the lead when they launched the ball long to Cahill as Carragher and Agger failed to clear the danger when the ball bounced around in the box.

The former England international’s panicked clearance was charged down by the Australian and fell into the path of Jelavic who poked the ball past Jones into the net, making no mistake from six yards.

Liverpool tried to get back into the game and enjoyed lengthy spells of possession in the latter stages of the half but due to some resilient defending from the Toffees and poor quality, especially in the wide areas, the club couldn’t force Howard into action before halftime.

The Reds came out strongly after the break and should have been level within a minute as Downing put a wonderful cross towards the back-post where Carroll was unmarked. However the 35 million pound man unbelievably headed wide from two yards out, much to the frustration of his manager.

Everton appeared comfortable to sit on its lead and looked to hit Liverpool on the counter attack. This tactic invited pressure on the Toffees defense which began to show as the Reds began to raid deeper and deeper into Blues territory.

Dalglish’s side got its equalizer through Suarez who calmly poked the ball past Howard after capitalizing on a mistake by Distin, whose pass-back to the American was weak allowing the striker to nip in and get the Reds back into the game.

Everton came close to regaining the lead as Leon Osman cut in from the left and fired a vicious shot which was well saved by Jones. While at the other end Carroll pounced on a loose ball outside the area but put his left-footed shot wide of the post as the game began to open up.  

Both teams were having half-chances but were unable to carve a clear cut opening as Carroll and Jelavic were unable to hit the target after getting free in the box.

After missing a host of chances in the game Carroll finally got on the scoresheet as he rose highest in the area to head home Bellamy’s free-kick past Howard from close range to give Liverpool the lead in the 86th minute to send the Reds supporters into raptures and his club into the final.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!