Champions League Preview: Bayern Munich - Olympique de Marseille
Didier Deschamps' men visit the Allianz Arena on Tuesday, facing the uphill task of overcoming a two-goal deficit from the first leg in France against the Bavarian giants
By Vasil Kotsev
Lahm, Boateng, Badstuber, Alaba
Luiz Gustavo, Kroos
Robben, Muller, Ribery
OLYMPIQUE DE MARSEILLE
Azpilicueta, Fanni, N'Koulou, Morel
Cheyrou, M'Bia, Amalfitano
Valbuena, Remy, A. Ayew
Bayern Munich will have to do without vice-captain Bastian Schweinsteiger, who is serving a one-game suspension after picking up a yellow card in the first leg. Daniel Van Buyten is also sidelined after picking an injury against Borussia Monchengladbach in January.
Toni Kroos, Jerome Boateng, Luiz Gustavo and Thomas Muller will incur a suspension if they are booked on Tuesday.
For Olympique de Marseille, Steve Mandanda is set to return to the first team after serving his one-match ban for the first leg, but Souleymane Diawara will not be able to recover in time for the game against Bayern Munich.
Alou Diarra is suspended for the second leg, while Andre Ayew will have to once again play through the pain barrier as he is postponing surgery on his shoulder until the end of the season.
The Ghanaian will have to be careful not to pick a booking on Tuesday, together with Stephane M'Bia, Jeremy Morel and Morgan Amalfitano, as it will result in a ban for Olympique de Marseille's next game in the Champions League.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern Munich has won their its nine home games in all competitions, scoring 32 and conceding four goals.
- The Bavarians have committed 140 fouls in this season's edition of the Champions League; the most of any other team in the quarterfinals.
- Mario Gomez has scored 38 goals in his last 41 games for club and country.
- Olympique de Marseille won in Germany this season, beating Borussia Dortmund 3-2.
- Les Phoceens have lost three out of four European ties, in which they have suffered defeat in the first leg.
- Didier Deschamps was part of the Juventus team that lost the 1998 Champions League final to Jupp Heynckes' Real Madrid.
Top 3 Predictions
Bayern 3-0 Marseille
- 20.95 %
Bayern 2-0 Marseille
- 13.18 %
Bayern 3-1 Marseille
- 12.32 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 3, 2012||Bayern 2 - Marseille 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Mar 28, 2012||Marseille 0 - Bayern 2|
|Dec 7, 2013||Werder Bremen 0 - Bayern 7||BUN|
|Dec 4, 2013||FC Augsburg 0 - Bayern 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Bayern 2 - Eintracht Braunschweig 0||BUN|
|Nov 27, 2013||CSKA Moscow 1 - Bayern 3||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayern 3||BUN|
|9||André Pierre Gignac||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed