MLS Preview: Philadelphia Union - New York Red Bulls
While the playoff places are settled, Philadelphia does have the chance to score some rivalry points when the Red Bulls visit PPL.
By Keith Hickey
|Philadelphia Union (4-2-3-1): MacMath; Gaddis, Okugo, Valdes, Lahoud; Carroll, Gomez; Cruz, M. Farfan, Daniel; McInerney.
OUT: DF Bakary Soumare (R knee menisectomy recovery)
DOUBTFUL: DF DF Sheanon Williams (L ankle peroneal/Achilles strain); DF Gabriel Farfan (R ankle stress reaction)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Danny Cruz (L big toe sesamoid stress fracture)
PROBABLE: DF Chris Albright (illness)
|New York Red Bulls (4-3-3): Robles; Lade, Holgersson, Marquez, Pearce; Le Toux, Tainio, Cahill, McCarty; Cooper, Henry.
OUT: DF Brandon Barklage (L plantar fascia injury); GK Ryan Meara (L hip surgery); MF Lloyd Sam (R knee PCL injury)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams are meeting for the third time this season. Kenny Cooper’s late goal capped a wild win for the Red Bulls in their first meeting this season, a 3-2 victory May 13 at PPL Park, then Cooper scored twice for a 2-0 New York win July 21 at Red Bull Arena.
- Hans Backe became the first head coach to lead New York to three consecutive playoff appearances. The Red Bulls clinched their place following the scoreless draw with Sporting KC last weekend.
- Jimmy Nielsen's stop of Michael Farfan's penalty on Wednesday was the first time a Union player failed to directly convert a penalty, although Antoine Hoppenot did tuck home the rebound.
- With the 2-0 loss to Chicago and the scoreless draw against Sporting Kansas City, New York has been held scoreless for two consecutive games for the first time this season.
- Philadelphia's leading scorer this season, 20-year-old Jack McInerney, has scored all eight of his goals since John Hackworth took over as head coach in May.
Top 3 Predictions
Philadelphia Union 0-2 New York Red Bulls
- 31.58 %
Philadelphia Union 1-2 New York Red Bulls
- 21.05 %
Philadelphia Union 2-1 New York Red Bulls
- 10.53 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 16, 2014||New York Red Bulls 2 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 17, 2013||New York Red Bulls 0 - Philadelphia Union 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 23, 2013||Philadelphia Union 3 - New York Red Bulls 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 30, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 27, 2012||Philadelphia Union 0 - New York Red Bulls 3|
|Apr 19, 2014||Philadelphia Union 0 - Houston Dynamo 0||MLS|
|Apr 16, 2014||New York Red Bulls 2 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|Apr 12, 2014||Philadelphia Union 2 - Real Salt Lake 2||MLS|
|Apr 5, 2014||Chicago Fire 2 - Philadelphia Union 2||MLS|
|Mar 29, 2014||Philadelphia Union 1 - Montreal Impact 1||MLS|
|22||Carlos Enrique Valdes||Defender|
|-||Jan Gunnar Solli||Midfielder|
|11||Sebastien Le Toux||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed