MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo - Philadelphia Union
Philly may be out of the playoff spots, but the Union can still play spoiler to the team which eliminated them from the postseason last year.
By Keith Hickey
|Houston Dynamo (4-3-3): Hall; Sarkodie, Boswell, Hainault, Ashe; Garcia, Clark, Moffat; Camargo, Bruin, Carr.
QUESTIONABLE: MF Brad Davis (L calf strain)
|Philadelphia Union (4-3-3): MacMath; Gaddis, Okugo, Valdes, M. Farfan; Adu, Carroll, Lahoud; Hoppenot, McInerney, Martinez.
OUT: DF Bakary Soumare (R knee menisectomy recovery)
DOUBTFUL: DF Sheanon Williams (L ankle peroneal/Achilles strain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Gabriel Farfan (R ankle contusion); MF Danny Cruz (L big toe sesamoid stress fracture); FW Zach Pfeffer (L knee contusion)
PROBABLE: MF Freddy Adu (L quad strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The teams are playing for the third time this season, having split the first two. A late Brian Ching penalty kick was the decider in a 2-1 Dynamo victory June 30 at BBVA Compass Stadium, then Freddy Adu scored a pair of goals in a 3-1 Union win Sept. 23 at PPL Park.
- It’s the final home game of the regular season for the Dynamo, who are bidding to become the fourth team in MLS history to go undefeated at home over an entire season (San Jose, 2005; Real Salt Lake, 2010; LA Galaxy, 2011).
- The Dynamo are also riding a 24-game home unbeaten streak in league play, now the second-longest in MLS history. Real Salt Lake’s 29-game streak from 2009-11 is the current league record.
- Since they were officially eliminated from playoff contention, the Union have won back-to-back games, their last triumph a 1-0 win over New England on Oct. 6, as Jack McInerney scored for a third consecutive game.
- The Dynamo, holding on to the final playoff spot, knocked the Union out of the playoffs last year with 2-1 and 1-0 wins in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Top 3 Predictions
Houston Dynamo 3-1 Philadelphia Union
- 22.22 %
Houston Dynamo 1-2 Philadelphia Union
- 22.22 %
Houston Dynamo 4-0 Philadelphia Union
- 11.11 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 14, 2013||Philadelphia Union 0 - Houston Dynamo 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 6, 2013||Houston Dynamo 1 - Philadelphia Union 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 20, 2012||Houston Dynamo 3 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 23, 2012||Philadelphia Union 3 - Houston Dynamo 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 30, 2012||Houston Dynamo 2 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|Nov 23, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 2 - Houston Dynamo 1||MLS|
|Nov 9, 2013||Houston Dynamo 0 - Sporting Kansas City 0||MLS|
|Nov 6, 2013||New York Red Bulls 1 - Houston Dynamo 2||MLS|
|Nov 3, 2013||Houston Dynamo 2 - New York Red Bulls 2||MLS|
|Oct 31, 2013||Houston Dynamo 3 - Montreal Impact 0||MLS|
|3||Carlos Enrique Valdes||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed