MLS Preview: D.C. United - Columbus Crew
Precious playoff points are at stake as Columbus, just a point outside the playoff spots, visits still-vulnerable D.C.
By Keith Hickey
|D.C. United (4-4-2): Hamid; Najar, McDonald, Jakovic, Korb; DeLeon, Kitchen, Boskovic, Pontius; Pajoy, Santos.
OUT: DF Daniel Woolard (concussion-like symptoms); FW Josh Wolff (lower back disc herniation); MF Dwayne De Rosario (L knee MCL sprain); FW Long Tan (L ankle sprain)
PROBABLE: MF Stephen King (inguinal hernia repair); MF Lance Rozeboom (L knee ACL tear); DF Emiliano Dudar (R knee bone bruise); MF Raphael Augusto (L quadriceps strain)
|Columbus Crew (4-2-3-1): Gruenebaum; Miranda, Marshall, James, Mendes; Birchall, Mirosevic; Meram, Higuain, Gaven; Arrieta.
OUT: FW Tommy Heinemann (L knee surgery); GK William Hesmer (R hip surgery); MF Bernardo Anor (L knee ACL tear)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Danny O'Rourke (L ankle sprain); DF Josh Williams (concussion)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- D.C. extended its unbeaten streak to five games – going 4-0-1 in that time – with a 1-0 win at Toronto FC on Oct. 6.
- These teams are meeting for the third time this season, each having taken 1-0 decisions on their home ground. The Crew won 1-0 at Crew Stadium on July 21, the game’s only goal scored by Chris Birchall in the opening minute of the second half. United returned the favor Aug. 4 at RFK Stadium, Chris Pontius finding the target in the 49th minute.
- With a win or a draw, United will qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2007. D.C.'s four-year postseason drought is the longest in club history, and tied for second-longest in MLS history.
- Eddie Gaven scored his eighth goal of the season – a huge equalizer for a 1-1 draw with Sporting KC on Oct. 7 – to match his single-season career high, which he set in 2005 at age 19 with the MetroStars.
- If Columbus loses this match and Houston defeats Philadelphia, the Crew will miss out on postseason soccer for the first time since 2007.
Top 3 Predictions
D.C. United 2-1 Columbus Crew
- 21.43 %
D.C. United 1-0 Columbus Crew
- 21.43 %
D.C. United 2-0 Columbus Crew
- 21.43 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 27, 2013||Columbus Crew 3 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 23, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Columbus Crew 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 20, 2012||D.C. United 3 - Columbus Crew 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 4, 2012||D.C. United 1 - Columbus Crew 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 21, 2012||Columbus Crew 1 - D.C. United 0|
|Jun 15, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Toronto FC 2||MLS|
|Jun 8, 2013||New England Revolution 0 - D.C. United 0||MLS|
|Jun 2, 2013||Chicago Fire 2 - D.C. United 0||MLS|
|May 25, 2013||D.C. United 0 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|May 19, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|
|-||Emiliano Ariel Dudar||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed