MLS Preview: New York Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
Sporting needs a win to maintain its outside chance at the Supporters' Shield, and losing could put New York's playoff spot in jeopardy.
By Keith Hickey
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Gaudette; Solli, Holgersson, Pearce, Conde; McCarty, Marquez, Lindpere, Lade; Henry, Cahill.
OUT: DF Brandon Barklage (L plantar fascia injury); GK Ryan Meara (L hip surgery)
|Spoorting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen, Myers, Olum, Besler, Sinovic; Nagamura, Cesar, Convey; Kamara, Sapong, Zusi.
OUT: FW Teal Bunbury (L knee ACL tear); DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture)
DOUBTFUL: MF Roger Espinoza (R ankle sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The teams are meeting for the third time this year, all coming over the final three months of the season. A month ago, C.J. Sapong and Kei Kamara scored as Sporting ended the Red Bulls' long home unbeaten streak with a 2-0 victory at Red Bull Arena. The teams played to a 1-1 draw on Aug. 26 at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park, as Kamara scored at both ends, giving KC an early lead then scoring into his own net for the equalizer.
- Graham Zusi regained the league lead with his 15th assist, setting up Sporting’s goal in their 1-1 draw with Columbus on Oct. 7.
- SKC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen has 14 shutouts this season, tied for second-most in a single season in MLS history. If he posts shutouts in the final two games of the season, he will equal the all-time MLS record set in 2000 by Kansas City’s Tony Meola.
- New York currently sits in fourth, four points ahead of outside-chancer Columbus, but the Red Bulls have won just won of their last four games, against dead-last Toronto FC.
- First-place Kansas City has now gone 10 games without defeat, last capitulating to the Columbus Crew on July 28.
Top 3 Predictions
New York Red Bulls 3-1 Sporting Kansas City
- 20.83 %
New York Red Bulls 1-0 Sporting Kansas City
- 12.5 %
New York Red Bulls 1-2 Sporting Kansas City
- 12.5 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 17, 2013||New York Red Bulls 0 - Sporting Kansas City 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 20, 2012||New York Red Bulls 0 - Sporting Kansas City 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 19, 2012||New York Red Bulls 0 - Sporting Kansas City 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 26, 2012||Sporting Kansas City 1 - New York Red Bulls 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 15, 2011||Sporting Kansas City 2 - New York Red Bulls 0|
|New York Red Bulls|
|Jun 1, 2013||New York Red Bulls 1 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2||MLS|
|May 26, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - Columbus Crew 2||MLS|
|May 19, 2013||New York Red Bulls 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||MLS|
|May 11, 2013||New England Revolution 1 - New York Red Bulls 1||MLS|
|May 8, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - Montreal Impact 1||MLS|
|Sporting Kansas City|
|Jun 1, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Montreal Impact 2||MLS|
|May 26, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Houston Dynamo 1||MLS|
|May 19, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|
|May 12, 2013||Houston Dynamo 0 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|
|May 8, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 0 - Seattle Sounders FC 1||MLS|
|-||Jan Gunnar Solli||Midfielder|
|11||Sebastien Le Toux||Midfielder|
|17||C. J. Sapong||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed