MLS Preview: New England Revolution - New York Red Bulls
The Revs may no longer have a shot at the playoffs, but they can still help play spoiler to old foe New York.
By Keith Hickey
|New England Revolution (4-4-2): Reis; Alston, Soares, McCarthy, Tierney; Rowe, Simms, Feilhaber, Nguyen; Sene, Bengtson.
OUT: FW Saer Sene (L knee ACL tear);
QUESTIONABLE: DF Chris Tierney (L hamstring strain)
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Gaudette; Lade, Holgersson, Pearce, Conde; McCarty, Tainio, Marquez, Lindpere; Cahill, Henry.
OUT: GK Ryan Meara (L hip surgery); DF Roy Miller (groin strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams are meeting for the third time this season. Lee Nguyen and Jerry Bengtson scored in a 2-0 Revolution victory July 8 at Gillette Stadium, after New York’s Thierry Henry scored the only goal in the April 28 meeting at Red Bull Arena.
- New York has not won in New England since 2002. The Revolution have won 13 of 17 meetings in league and MLS Cup play since that last New York win. The Revolution haven’t won in New Jersey since 2007.
- New England became the second club to be eliminated from the playoff race with a 2-1 loss at D.C. United last weekend. The Revolution have gone three seasons without qualifying for postseason play, the longest stretch in club history.
- The New York tandem of Thierry Henry and Kenny Cooper is the top-scoring double act in MLS season. Cooper has found the net 14 times this season, tied for the second-best total in MLS. Henry sits a goal behind him.
- While New England has struggled lately, winning just one of its last dozen matches, the Revs have had a more encouraging showing at home, going unbeaten in their last three games at Gillette Stadium.
Top 3 Predictions
New England Revolution 0-1 New York Red Bulls
- 22.73 %
New England Revolution 0-2 New York Red Bulls
- 18.18 %
New England Revolution 1-2 New York Red Bulls
- 13.64 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 11, 2013||New England Revolution 1 - New York Red Bulls 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 20, 2013||New York Red Bulls 4 - New England Revolution 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 22, 2012||New England Revolution 1 - New York Red Bulls 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 8, 2012||New England Revolution 2 - New York Red Bulls 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 28, 2012||New York Red Bulls 1 - New England Revolution 0|
|New England Revolution|
|May 18, 2013||Houston Dynamo 0 - New England Revolution 2||MLS|
|May 11, 2013||New England Revolution 1 - New York Red Bulls 1||MLS|
|May 8, 2013||New England Revolution 1 - Real Salt Lake 2||MLS|
|May 2, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - New England Revolution 0||MLS|
|Apr 27, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Philadelphia Union 0||MLS|
|7||Juan Carlos Toja||Midfielder|
|92||D. Imbongo Boele||Striker|
|-||Jan Gunnar Solli||Midfielder|
|11||Sebastien Le Toux||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed