thumbnail Hello,


  • August 19, 2012
  • • 5:20 PM
  • • Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, District of Columbia
  • Referee: M. Geiger
  • • Attendance: 12312

D.C. United 1-1 Philadelphia Union: Three sent off in late mayhem

D.C. United 1-1 Philadelphia Union: Three sent off in late mayhem

Patrick McDermott

A late flurry of penalties and ejections made for a heated end to the 1-1 draw between Philly and D.C.

A retaken penalty, three reds and an own goal set the tone in a frantic 1-1 draw between D.C. United and the Philadelphia Union.

Philadelphia opened the scoring just eight minutes in. Freddy Adu hoofed a free kick into the box that the United backline failed several times to clear, and former D.C. midfielder Brian Carroll swept the ball home on the goal line.

After an hour, D.C. put the ball in the back of the net. Zac MacMath spilled a Dwayne De Rosario shot and Nick DeLeon finished it, but referee Mark Geiger called a foul on Hamdi Salihi in the buildup.

The goal stood when Amobi Okugo put it in his own net in the 71st minute. MacMath failed to deal with a Branko Boskovic free kick and Okugo accidentally headed it the wrong direction.

In the 85th minute, the mayhem started. Roger Torres swept the feet of Chris Pontius in the box, and the referee whistled a penalty. De Rosario scored it, but Geiger called it back for encroachment from Salihi. In the mass confusion, Boskovic was ejected for arguing. DeRo skied his second attempt.

In stoppage time, Emiliano Dudar was ejected for a studs-up challenge into the back of Antoine Hoppenot, leaving United with only nine players on the field.

A few minutes later, Union defender Sheanon Williams joined Dudar with an early walk down the tunnel. Williams came in a little late as Ponius led a counterattack, and Geiger showed Williams a second yellow. The 22-year-old had earlier picked up a booking for delay of game on a throw-in a half an hour into the match.

Follow ZAC LEE RIGG on or shoot him an email