MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
Despite sitting near the top, RSL can't find a win, and lowly Portland has pulled off some big upsets in recent weeks.
By Keith Hickey
|Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Wingert, Olave, Borchers, Beltran; Steele, Beckerman, Johnson, Morales; Espindola, Saborio.
OUT: DF Chris Schuler (L foot bone stress response)
PROBABLE: MF Javier Morales (R knee hyperextension); DF Nat Borchers (L quadriceps strain); DF Tony Beltran (L adductor spasm); DF Jamison Olave (R calf strain); MF Ned Grabavoy (L adductor strain)
|Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Perkins; Kimura, Danso, Horst, Smith; Songo'o, Palmer, Nagbe, Alexander; Mwanga, Boyd.
OUT: DF Eric Brunner (concussion)
PROBABLE: MF Kalif Alhassan (L hamstring soreness); DF Steve Purdy (L groin strain); DF Rodney Wallace (R ankle sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Although second in the West, RSL has failed to win a game since June 16, going 0-3-1 in the interim.
- Conversely, despite being second from the bottom, Portland has won two of its last three, knocking off arch-rival Seattle and top-of-the-league San Jose.
- Portland is one of two MLS clubs (the other being FC Dallas) still in search of that first elusive road victory. This is not unfamiliar territory for the Timbers; last season their first road win did not come until July 16 and they only collected one more the rest of the season. They have scored just two goals in seven road matches this season.
- Real won the first meeting between the clubs this season in a thriller, Jonny Steele scoring in the 89th minute then Kyle Beckerman hitting for the winner in stoppage time in a 3-2 RSL victory, March 31 in Portland.
- The Timbers have been shut out in four consecutive games away from Jeld-Wen Field. Their last road goal came April 14 in a 3-1 loss at the LA Galaxy, now 427 minutes without scoring.
- Real Salt Lake will be without Fabian Espindola, who is suspended for this match.
Top 3 Predictions
Real Salt Lake 1-2 Portland Timbers
- 50 %
Real Salt Lake 1-1 Portland Timbers
- 25 %
Real Salt Lake 3-1 Portland Timbers
- 12.5 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 24, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - Real Salt Lake 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 10, 2013||Real Salt Lake 4 - Portland Timbers 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 19, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 30, 2013||Real Salt Lake 4 - Portland Timbers 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 21, 2013||Portland Timbers 3 - Real Salt Lake 3|
|Real Salt Lake|
|Nov 24, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 10, 2013||Real Salt Lake 4 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Nov 7, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||MLS|
|Nov 3, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 1 - Real Salt Lake 0||MLS|
|Oct 23, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Chivas USA 1||MLS|
|14||Yordany Alvarez Oropeza||Midfielder|
|-||Emiliano Nicolas Bonfigli||Striker|
|21||Diego Ferney Chará||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed