MLS Preview: Philadelphia Union - Sporting Kansas City
The post-Nowak rebuilding project continues in Philly, but visiting Sporting is eying up the top spot in the East.
By Keith Hickey
|Philadelphia Union (4-4-2): MacMath; Williams, Okugo, Valdes, G. Farfan; Adu, Carroll, Gomez, M. Farfan; Pajoy, McInerney.
OUT: FW Krystian Witkowski (concussion symptoms)
DOUBTFUL: DF Sheanon Williams (R big toe sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Gabriel Gomez (L knee patellar tendonitis); MF Cristhian Hernandez (R knee sprain);
PROBABLE: MF Keon Daniel (L ankle sprain)
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Colin, Olum, Harrington; Zusi, Joseph, Espinoza; Kamara, Bunbury, Saad.
OUT: MF Korede Aiyegbusi (R knee sprain); DF Matt Besler (appendicitis); FW Bobby Convey (R calf strain); DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture); GK Jon Kempin (R ankle fracture); MF Paulo Nagamura (R abductor strain); MF Luke Sassano (L knee sprain); DF Shawn Singh (L quad strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- After scoring 14 times in his first two MLS seasons, Sporting striker Teal Bunbury started the 2012 campaign with zero goals in his first seven league matches played. However, Bunbury has seemingly turned his luck around with three goals over the last five games in all competitions.
- Philadelphia interim head coach John Hackworth displayed his background as a youth national team coach in his first game in charge. Against D.C. United, the Union's starting lineup had an average age of just over 23.
- In his first game in charge, Hackworth gave 19-year-old Jack McInerney his first start of the season, playing as a lone striker. McInerney last made Philly’s first XI on Aug.13, 2011.
- Philadelphia is in a six-game winless rut, its last victory coming over Chivas USA on April 21.
- An away victory could see Sporting Kansas City end the weekend in first place in the East. The team formerly known as the Wizards currently sits just a point behind D.C. with two games in hand.
Top 3 Predictions
Philadelphia Union 0-2 Sporting Kansas City
- 25 %
Philadelphia Union 2-1 Sporting Kansas City
- 16.67 %
Philadelphia Union 1-1 Sporting Kansas City
- 16.67 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 2, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Sporting Kansas City 3|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 24, 2012||Sporting Kansas City 2 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 23, 2012||Philadelphia Union 4 - Sporting Kansas City 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 23, 2011||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 22, 2011||Philadelphia Union 0 - Sporting Kansas City 0|
|May 18, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Chicago Fire 0||MLS|
|May 15, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 4||MLS|
|May 11, 2013||Chicago Fire 0 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|May 4, 2013||Philadelphia Union 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 2||MLS|
|Apr 27, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Philadelphia Union 0||MLS|
|-||Carlos Enrique Valdes||Defender|
|17||C. J. Sapong||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed