MLS Preview: D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
These two Eastern rivals square off in a nationally-televised Sunday matchup, each looking to rise above the midtable pack.
By Zac Lee Rigg
|D.C. United (4-4-2): Willis; Korb, Russell, McDonald, Woolard; Cruz, Kitchen, De Rosario, DeLeon; Pontius, Santos.
OUT: DF Ethan White (R knee surgery); MF Lance Rozeboom (L knee ACL tear); FW Josh Wolff (L hamstring strain); DF Dejan Jakovic (L ankle sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Kurt Morsink (L foot neurectomy); DF Emiliano Dudar (L hamstring strain)
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Meara; Solli, Keel, Holgersson, Lade; Richards, McCarty, Lindpere, Ballouchy; Cooper, Henry.
OUT: FW Juan Agudelo (L knee surgery recovery); MF Teemu Tainio (R knee sprain); DF Wilman Conde (groin strain); DF Roy Miller (L knee effusion)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams are second and third in the Eastern Conference. D.C., having played seven games, has nine points. New York has 10 points from only six matches. Of course, Sporting Kansas City more than doubles either tally with a perfect 21 points from seven games.
- Rafael Marquez will sit the next three games. The Disciplinary Committee suspended him for breaking Shea Salinas' clavicle. By the time this current suspension ends, Marquez will have been banned for more games (five) than he has played this year (four).
- Thierry Henry and Kenny Cooper are tied, along with San Jose's Chris Wondolowski, for the goalscoring lead in MLS with seven strikes. Henry is also second in the league with five assists.
- On Wednesday D.C. United drew 1-1 with the Montreal Impact. Maicon Santos came off the bench to score the equalizer, his fourth goal of the year. The Brazilian is tied for fourth on the goalscoring charts.
- This game, the only MLS match on Sunday, will be broadcast on ESPN2/Deportes.
Top 3 Predictions
D.C. United 1-3 New York Red Bulls
- 17.65 %
D.C. United 0-2 New York Red Bulls
- 11.77 %
D.C. United 1-2 New York Red Bulls
- 11.77 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 31, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - D.C. United 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 13, 2013||D.C. United 0 - New York Red Bulls 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 16, 2013||New York Red Bulls 0 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 8, 2012||New York Red Bulls 0 - D.C. United 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 3, 2012||D.C. United 1 - New York Red Bulls 1|
|Oct 27, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Houston Dynamo 2||MLS|
|Oct 18, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - D.C. United 0||MLS|
|Oct 12, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|Oct 4, 2013||D.C. United 0 - Chicago Fire 3||MLS|
|Oct 1, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Real Salt Lake 0||OC|
|-||Emiliano Ariel Dudar||Defender|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||Midfielder|
|-||Jan Gunnar Solli||Midfielder|
|-||Jhonny Alexandre Arteaga||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed