MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
Two of MLS' top scorers this season in the form of David Estrada and Chris Wondolowski will square off at CenturyLink Field in the first Western Conference game for both teams.
By Nick Rosano
|Seattle Sounders FC (4-4-2): Gspurning; Scott, Ianni, Hurtado, Burch; Levesque, Alonso, Evans, Fernandez; Estrada, Montero.
OUT: GK Josh Ford (knee pain); DF Andrew Duran (knee surgery); DF Michael Tetteh (hamstring); MF Mauro Rosales (knee injury); MF Steve Zakuani (leg fracture)
DOUBTFUL: FW Eddie Johnson (hip injury)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Adam Johansson (hamstring)
|San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Bernardez, Morrow, Corrales; Chavez, Cronin, Moreno, Salinas; Lenhart, Wondolowski.
OUT: MF Joey Gjertsen (R knee surgery); DF Tim Ward (L non-specific soft tissue injury)
DOUBTFUL: MF Sercan Guvenisik (R hip flexor strain)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Marvin Chavez (concussion)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Expect a few goals in this game. For one, the two teams combined for seven goals in their two encounters last season (2-2 draw in San Jose, 2-1 home win for Seattle). Secondly, both teams' top scorers, David Estrada and Chris Wondolowski, have combined for seven goals in five games in 2012, including two for Wondolowski and one for Estrada in wins last weekend. The goal put Estrada at the top of the MLS scoring chart with four goals.
- This is the first Western Conference game for both teams. San Jose has defeated New England (1-0) and Toronto (3-0), and lost to Houston (1-0). Seattle has won both its games so far, defeating Toronto 3-1 and Houston 2-0, both at home.
- The two teams have scored nine goals against each other in seven meetings, though the Sounders hold a distinct edge in the series, having won four games to San Jose's two, with a draw mixed in.
- Though Wondolowski grabbed the attention with a pair of goals in last weekend's 3-0 win at Toronto, he missed a gilt-edged chance at a hat trick in the waning minutes of the game. He found himself wide open, but managed to hit the post with the goal at his mercy.
- Wondolowski found his name on the score sheet, but Sam Cronin also drew plenty of plaudits for his two-assist performance against his former club last weekend, the first of his career. "I think that’s a huge, underrated part of Sam’s game," Wondolowski said. "He does a great job of covering so much ground and tackling, it kind of goes unnoticed how good his passing is."
- The Sounders are missing key players in the form of Mauro Rosales, Eddie Johnson and Steve Zakuani, but have nonetheless managed a positive start to their MLS campaign.
Top 3 Predictions
Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 18.18 %
Seattle Sounders FC 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 18.18 %
Seattle Sounders FC 1-2 San Jose Earthquakes
- 18.18 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 13, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Seattle Sounders FC 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 11, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 4 - San Jose Earthquakes 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 23, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Seattle Sounders FC 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 22, 2012||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 11, 2012||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 1|
|Seattle Sounders FC|
|Nov 7, 2013||Portland Timbers 3 - Seattle Sounders FC 2||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Oct 30, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Colorado Rapids 0||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||FC Dallas 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 0||MLS|
|34||Jhon Kennedy Hurtado||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed