MLS Preview: New York Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
Coming off a 4-1 hammering of Colorado, New York will be licking its chops at the chance to face expansion outfit Montreal, which is still looking for its first-ever MLS win.
By Nick Rosano
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Meara; Solli, Holgersson, Conde, Miller; Richards, Marquez, Tainio, Lindpere; Henry, Cooper.||
OUT: FW Juan Agudelo (L knee surgery recovery)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Teemu Tainio (R ankle contusion)
|Montrael Impact (4-4-2): Ricketts; Mallace, Ferrari, Wahl, Gardner, Arnaud, Bernier, Martins, Mapp; Braun, Nyassi.
OUT: DF Nelson Rivas (L hamstring strain); FW Eduardo Sebrango (L groin strain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Hassoun Camara (R quad strain)
SUSPENDED: Jeb Brovsky (red card in previous game)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- After two straight losses to start the season, the Red Bulls exploded against the Colorado Rapids, winning 4-1. Thierry Henry and Kenny Cooper each bagged two goals, with Cooper taking his total up to a team-leading three tallies for the season.
- Montreal meanwhile lost 2-0 at Columbus, but felt aggrieved at some of the decisions made by referee Mark Geiger, including a penalty in Columbus' favor and the sending off of Jeb Brovsky.
- The Impact's lone point of the season has come in their only home game, a 1-1 draw with Chicago.
- Though the U.S. U-23 national team was eliminated from Olympic qualifying, the Red Bulls won't be seeing Juan Agudelo anytime soon. He suffered a torn meniscus during qualifying and will be out up to six weeks. Montreal will continue to miss Evan James and Carl Haworth, who remain with Canada ahead of its semifinal showdown against Mexico.
- Though rookie goalkeeper Ryan Meara only picked up his first victory, he has proved a revelation in 2012, looking assured between the posts in the Red Bulls' first three games.
- Montreal's goalkeeper is no slouch, either. Donovan Ricketts made eight saves against the Crew, and the 2010 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year drew praise from teammate Justin Mapp for his performance.
"He’s an experienced guy. We obviously always feel good having him there," Mapp said. "He made some great saves. He’s going to do big things for us throughout the year and we have nothing but confidence in him."
Top 3 Predictions
New York Red Bulls 3-0 Montreal Impact
- 35.29 %
New York Red Bulls 3-1 Montreal Impact
- 23.53 %
New York Red Bulls 1-1 Montreal Impact
- 11.77 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 13, 2013||New York Red Bulls 4 - Montreal Impact 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 8, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - Montreal Impact 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 23, 2013||Montreal Impact 1 - New York Red Bulls 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 28, 2012||Montreal Impact 3 - New York Red Bulls 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 19, 2012||Montreal Impact 1 - New York Red Bulls 2|
|New York Red Bulls|
|Nov 6, 2013||New York Red Bulls 1 - Houston Dynamo 2||MLS|
|Nov 3, 2013||Houston Dynamo 2 - New York Red Bulls 2||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||New York Red Bulls 5 - Chicago Fire 2||MLS|
|Oct 20, 2013||Houston Dynamo 0 - New York Red Bulls 3||MLS|
|Oct 5, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - New England Revolution 2||MLS|
|-||Jan Gunnar Solli||Midfielder|
|-||Jhonny Alexandre Arteaga||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed