The Fire holds their home opener in Toyota Park against Philadelphia with the Union still chasing their first point of the season.
|Chicago Fire (4-4-2): Tornaghi; Gargan, Anibaba, Gibbs, Segares;Pause, Pardo, Grazzini, Pappa; Oduro, Nyarko.
OUT: MF Steven Kinney (R posterior tibialis tendinitis)
|Philadelphia Union (4-4-2): MacMath; G. Farfan, Califf, Valdes, Lopez; M. Farfan, Gomez, Carroll, Daniel ; Pajoy, Mwanga.
QUESTIONABLE: DF Chris Albright (R groin strain); MF Michael Farfan (R quad strain); DF Gabriel Farfan (R quad strain)
- Philly and Chicago have a symmetrical 1-2-1 record against each other. The Fire has a 7-6-3 record against Union coach Peter Nowak.
- Both coaches Nowak and Frank Klopas played for the 1998 MLS Cup-winning Chicago Fire.
- New signing Lionard Pajoy scored for Philly in the 2-1 loss to the Colorado Rapids. The Union are still pointless in the 2012 season.
- Union captain Danny Califf was dropped for that match. Nowak claimed after the match that Califf was injured, an assertion the U.S. international defender denied to reporters.
- Chicago kicked off the 2012 season with a 1-1 draw against the expansion Impact in Montreal. Dominic Oduro scored the equalizer, his 13th goal in 12 months for the club.
- Sebastian Grazzini provided the assist. He now has either a goal or an assist in nine of his 12 appearances for the Fire. The Argentine averages a point every 86 minutes in MLS.