MLS Preview: New England Revolution - Portland Timbers
New England is looking to get an offensive jump start against a Portland team looking to improve on the road.
By Nick Rosano
|New England Revolution (4-4-2): Reis; Alston, Soares, Simms, Tierney;
White, Nguyen, Joseph, Rowe; Sene, Cardenas.
OUT: DF Darrius Barnes (L calf strain); FW Zak Boggs (R ankle sprain); DF John Lozano (R hip flexor strain); MF Sainey Nyassi (R hamstring strain)
DOUBTFUL: MF Benny Feilhaber (L peroneal strain)
PROBABLE: MF Shalrie Joseph (R calf tightness); GK Matt Reis (L adductor soreness)
|Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Perkins; Palmer, Brunner, Mosquera, Wallace; Alhassan, Chara, Jewsbury, Alexander; Perlaza, Boyd.
OUT: DF Futty Danso (L foot fracture); DF David Horst (R hip surgery); FW Eddie Johnson (concussion)
DOUBTFUL: MF Sal Zizzo (L ACL surgery)
QUESTIONABLE: MF James Marcelin (L hamstring strain); DF Steve Purdy (L hamstring strain); MF Franck Songo’o (R knee sprain)
PROBABLE: FW Jorge Perlaza (L Achilles tendinitis); DF Lovel Palmer (illness)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Portland has gotten off to a good start in 2012, with four points from its first two games. Mostly recently, it drew 1-1 on the road at FC Dallas. A 51st minute strike from Darlington Nagbe was enough to give Portland a share of the points after Blas Perez's opener.
- New England has yet to win or even score a goal in 2012. It opened the season with a 1-0 loss at San Jose and fell 3-0 at Sporting Kansas City last week after an early red card to Stephen McCarthy.
- The Revolution managed only one point in two meetings between the sides during the Timbers' inaugural MLS season. The two teams played out a 1-1 draw in New England before Portland won 3-0 at home in September.
- Two of New England's new signings, Jose Moreno and Florian Lechner, were scheduled to arrive in Boston on Thursday. Moreno, whose transfer was particularly drawn out, is unlikely to be available against the Timbers, but Lechner could potentially feature.
- The Revolution have been shorn of defensive options over the past few weeks. Darrius Barnes and John Lozano are both injured, and Stephen McCarthy's ejection against Sporting Kansas means Jay Heaps will have to reshuffle his defense again.
- John Spencer's preferred XI should be healthy for the weekend. This should allow the Timbers to focus on grabbing their first away win of the season after only managing two wins on the road in all of 2011.
Top 3 Predictions
New England Revolution 1-2 Portland Timbers
- 40 %
New England Revolution 0-2 Portland Timbers
- 20 %
New England Revolution 2-1 Portland Timbers
- 10 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 2, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - New England Revolution 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 24, 2012||New England Revolution 1 - Portland Timbers 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 16, 2011||Portland Timbers 3 - New England Revolution 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 2, 2011||New England Revolution 1 - Portland Timbers 1|
|New England Revolution|
|Nov 6, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 3 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||Columbus Crew 0 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||New England Revolution 3 - Columbus Crew 2||MLS|
|Oct 12, 2013||Montreal Impact 0 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|21||Diego Ferney Chará||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed