MLS Preview: Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
Though Toronto has found success in the CONCACAF Champions League, it will want to impress its fans at home after opening the MLS campaign with a 3-1 loss at Seattle.
By Nick Rosano
|Toronto (4-3-3): Kocic; Eckersley, Acevedo, Harden, Morgan; De Guzman, Dunfield, Silva; Johnson, Koevermans, Soolsma.
OUT: FW Nicholas Lindsay (L knee surgery recovery); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); DF Jeremy Hall (sports hernia surgery recovery); MF Torsten Frings (R hamstring strain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Adrian Cann (R knee surgery recovery)
|San Jose (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Bernardez, Morrow, Corrales; Chavez, Cronin, Moreno, Salinas; Lenhart, Wondolowski.
OUT: MF Joey Gjertsen (R knee surgery); DF Tim Ward (L non-specific soft tissue injury)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Though Toronto caused a shock by eliminating Los Angeles from the Champions League on a 4-3 aggregate scoreline (including a 2-1 win in LA), the team fell flat in its MLS opener. A fine strike from Ryan Johnson proved a rare highlight in an otherwise sorry 3-1 loss to Seattle.
- San Jose failed to make it two from two as poor finishing and a lack of ideas saw the Earthquakes fall 1-0 to Houston in San Francisco.
- Ryan Johnson has been the breakout player of 2012 so far for Toronto FC. He has a goal in each of the Reds' three competitive games so far and also set up a goal in their 2-1 upset of Los Angeles. In San Jose he faces the club that traded him in July 2011.
- San Jose playmaker Tressor Moreno got his first MLS minutes in the loss to Houston. After some positive showings in midweek training sessions could be ready for his first MLS start.
- Toronto lost the influential Torsten Frings for four to six weeks to a hamstring strain suffered in the loss against Seattle. His absence could potentially be a major boon for the 'Quakes' hopes going forward.
- Toronto's Doneil Henry and Matt Stinson are on duty with the Canada U23s for Olympic qualifying, and San Jose is in the same boat with Ike Opara, who is with the U.S. U23s.
Top 3 Predictions
Toronto FC 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 23.08 %
Toronto FC 1-2 San Jose Earthquakes
- 15.39 %
Toronto FC 1-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 15.39 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 8, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - Toronto FC 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 24, 2012||Toronto FC 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 3|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 27, 2011||Toronto FC 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 9, 2011||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Toronto FC 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 25, 2010||Toronto FC 2 - San Jose Earthquakes 3|
|Oct 26, 2013||Toronto FC 1 - Montreal Impact 0||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||Chicago Fire 1 - Toronto FC 0||MLS|
|Oct 5, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Toronto FC 0||MLS|
|Sep 28, 2013||Toronto FC 4 - D.C. United 1||MLS|
|Sep 21, 2013||Toronto FC 1 - Sporting Kansas City 2||MLS|
|-||Julian De Guzman||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed