MLS Preview: LA Galaxy - D.C. United
The reigning MLS champ enters its fourth game in two weeks with what will likely be a weakened lineup against the capital club.
By Zac Lee Rigg and Nick Rosano
|LA Galaxy (4-2-3-1): Saunders; Franklin, DeLaGarza, Meyer, Dunivant; Jimenez, Keat, Sarvas, Cardozo; Barrett, Keane.||
OUT: FW Adam Cristman (concussion); DF Omar Gonzalez (L knee surgery); MF Bryan Jordan (L hamstring strain); DF Leonardo (R knee surgery); MF Kyle Nakazawa (tonsillectomy); MF Jose Villarreal (bilateral lower leg surgery)
|D.C. United (4-4-1-1): Willis; Russell, Jakovic, McDonald, Woolard; Pontius, Saragosa, Boskovic, Najar; De Rosario; Salihi.||
OUT: MF Kurt Morsink (L foot neurectomy); DF Ethan White (R knee inflammation)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- After going unbeaten in all competitive home games in 2011 and conceding two goals only once, the Galaxy lost back-to-back home games to open 2012 and shipped five goals in the process. They fell 3-1 to Real Salt Lake in their MLS season opener before going down 2-1 to Toronto FC in the CONCACAF Champions League – a result that knocked them out of that competition 4-3 on aggregate.
- D.C. nearly rode a stellar performance from Bill Hamid to a scoreless draw in its season opener against Sporting Kansas City, but fell 1-0 after a late C.J. Sapong winner.
- United will be at a disadvantage thanks to Olympic qualifying, with Hamid, Perry Kitchen and Andy Najar all playing for their national teams. The Galaxy will lose Michael Stephens to qualifying.
- The game pits MLS’s two most most successful teams against each other, with United having won four MLS Cups and the Galaxy three, including the 2011 title.
- Los Angeles and D.C. drew in both of their 2011 encounters, with a 1-1 result on the East Coast and a 0-0 result on the West. The two ties extended D.C.’s winless streak against Los Angeles to seven games.
- Edson Buddle marked his return to MLS by scoring the lone Galaxy goal in the loss to Real Salt Lake. Buddle – who scored nine goals across 2011 for Ingolstadt 04 of Germany’s second division – joins a talented attacking corps including Designated Players David Beckham, Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane.
Top 3 Predictions
Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 D.C. United
- 17.65 %
Los Angeles Galaxy 1-2 D.C. United
- 17.65 %
Los Angeles Galaxy 4-1 D.C. United
- 11.77 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 14, 2013||D.C. United 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 18, 2012||Los Angeles Galaxy 3 - D.C. United 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 3, 2011||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 9, 2011||D.C. United 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 18, 2010||Los Angeles Galaxy 2 - D.C. United 1|
|Los Angeles Galaxy|
|Nov 7, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||MLS|
|Nov 3, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 1 - Real Salt Lake 0||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1||MLS|
|Oct 24, 2013||A.D. Isidro Metapán 4 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||CCL|
|Oct 20, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|-||Paolo Daniel Cardozo||Midfielder|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||Midfielder|
|-||Emiliano Ariel Dudar||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed