MLS Preview: Sporting Kansas City - New England Revolution
Sporting KC edged out D.C. in its preseason opener, but New England faces an uphill battle after picking up a few knocks in its loss to San Jose.
By Nick Rosano
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Collin, Besler, Sinovic; Julio Cesar, Espinoza, Zusi; Kamara, Sapong, Convey.||
OUT: GK Eric Kronberg (lower back injury)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Paulo Nagamura (L calf strain)
|New England Revolution (4-4-2): Reis; Alston, McCarthy, Tierney, Polak; Rowe, Joseph, Simms, Feilhaber; Brettschneider, Cardenas.||
OUT: DF Darrius Barnes (L calf strain); FW Zak Boggs (R ankle sprain); MF Sainey Nyassi (R hamstring strain)
DOUBTFUL: DF John Lozano (R hip flexor strain)
QUESTIONABLE: FW Saer Sene (L knee swelling); DF A.J. Soares (R knee sprain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- In its opening game of 2012, Sporting Kansas City topped off a good road performance against D.C. United with a late C.J. Sapong winner. The Revolution, however, fell 1-0 on the road to San Jose and picked up a few knocks along the way.
- Defenders John Lozano and A.J. Soares both suffered injuries, forcing rookie head coach Jay Heaps to make even more changes to a defense already hurt by the absence of Darrius Barnes.
- Sporting KC's 11-4-2 record in season openers is the best of any MLS team.
- With Teal Bunbury away on international duty with the U.S. U-23 national team, C.J. Sapong is set for the start at center forward for Kansas City. Sapong scored Sporting's late winner against D.C after coming off the bench to replace Bunbury.
- The Revolution added 31-year-old German defender Florain Lechner this week. Lechner had previously played in his native country for Stuttgart II, FC St. Pauli and Karlsruher SC.
- New England picked up four points from a possible six in the teams' two encounters in 2011. The Revolution won 3-2 at home on April 23 and nearly stole a win in Kansas City on July 30, only to concede a late equalizer from Bunbury.
Top 3 Predictions
D.C. United 2-1 Sporting Kansas City
- 17.95 %
D.C. United 1-2 Sporting Kansas City
- 15.39 %
D.C. United 0-2 Sporting Kansas City
- 12.82 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 18, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 19, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Sporting Kansas City 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 5, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 11, 2012||Sporting Kansas City 2 - D.C. United 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 10, 2012||D.C. United 0 - Sporting Kansas City 1|
|Apr 12, 2014||D.C. United 1 - New York Red Bulls 0||MLS|
|Apr 5, 2014||D.C. United 2 - New England Revolution 0||MLS|
|Mar 29, 2014||D.C. United 2 - Chicago Fire 2||MLS|
|Mar 22, 2014||Toronto FC 1 - D.C. United 0||MLS|
|Mar 8, 2014||D.C. United 0 - Columbus Crew 3||MLS|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||Midfielder|
|-||Emiliano Ariel Dudar||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed