La Liga Preview: Barcelona - Malaga
Los Boquerones will be looking to consolidate their hold on the final qualification berth for Europe's elite club competition when they make the daunting trip to Camp Nou.
By Karthick Arvinth
Alves, Mascherano, Puyol, Adriano
Thiago, Busquets, Iniesta
Fabregas, Messi, Pedro
Gamez, Demichelis, Weligton, Eliseu
Joaquin, Cazorla, Fernandez
Javier Mascherano is a minor doubt for Wednesday's Primera Division encounter with Malaga, after the Argentine picked up a leg injury towards the end of Barcelona's 7-0 win at Rayo Vallecano.
Xavi and Gerard Pique are still out, so Thiago Alcantara is likely to retain his place in the starting XI. Dani Alves, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas may earn recalls.
Jose Manuel Pinto looks set to continue in goal after boss Pep Guardiola opted to start the reserve goalkeeper at the weekend to give him some match experience ahead of the Copa del Rey final against Athletic Bilbao.
Malaga midfielder Enzo Maresca will miss the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury sustained in Sunday's win over Valencia.
Left back Nacho Monreal is a doubt with a groin strain. Jeremy Toulalan, Joris Mathijsen, Willy Caballero and Julio Baptista are all sidelined. Midfielder Isco serves a one-match ban.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Barcelona's 7-0 thumping of Rayo Vallecano on Sunday was the biggest away victory recorded by a Primera Division side this season.
- The Catalans have scored 177 goals in all competitions this term, 25 more than in the whole of last season.
- Lionel Messi's 43 Liga goals this campaign means both he and Cristiano Ronaldo (also 43) have surpassed the Real Madrid forward's league record of 40 set last season.
- Malaga has won just two of its last 10 away matches in La Liga.
- Los Boquerones have lost their last seven meetings with Barcelona by an aggregate score of 25-5.
- Malaga has suffered defeats on its last nine visits to Barca. Its last victory at Camp Nou came way back in November 1999.
Top 3 Predictions
Barcelona 5-0 Malaga
- 13.21 %
Barcelona 8-0 Malaga
- 8.08 %
Barcelona 3-1 Malaga
- 7.66 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||Jan 26, 2014||Barcelona 3 - Malaga 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Aug 25, 2013||Malaga 0 - Barcelona 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Jun 1, 2013||Barcelona 4 - Malaga 1|
|Copa del Rey (ESPC)||Jan 24, 2013||Malaga 2 - Barcelona 4|
|Copa del Rey (ESPC)||Jan 16, 2013||Barcelona 2 - Malaga 2|
|Apr 16, 2014||Barcelona 1 - Real Madrid 2||ESPC|
|Apr 12, 2014||Ciudad de Murcia 1 - Barcelona 0||LIGA|
|Apr 9, 2014||Atletico Madrid 1 - Barcelona 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Barcelona 3 - Betis 1||LIGA|
|Apr 1, 2014||Barcelona 1 - Atletico Madrid 1||UCL|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|22||Ruud Van Nistelrooy||Striker|
|21||Sebastián Fernández Miglierina||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed