Euro 2012 Preview: Denmark - Germany
Despite two good performances at Euro 2012, the Danes must win their final group game against Joachim Low's high-fliers to book their place in the quarterfinals.
By Karthick Arvinth
Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, S Poulsen
Kvist, J Poulsen
Mikkelsen, Eriksen, Krohn-Dehli
Bender, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm
Muller, Ozil, Podolski
Denmark winger Dennis Rommedahl will miss Sunday's encounter with Group B leaders Germany in Lviv with a hamstring problem.
Tobias Mikkelsen, who replaced Rommedahl in the 3-2 defeat to Portugal, could be handed a start ahead of new Ajax signing Lasse Schone. Midfielder Niki Zimling (calf) is a doubt.
Germany boss Joachim Low will be forced into a defensive change to accommodate for the absence of Jerome Boateng, who is suspended after picking up his second booking of the tournament in the 2-1 win over the Netherlands.
The 52-year-old may opt to use Benedikt Howedes or midfielder Lars Bender at right back, or, alternatively, he could switch captain Philipp Lahm to the right with Borussia Dortmund's Marcel Schmelzer given the nod in the opposite flank.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Denmark's record in 25 previous meetings with Germany is W8 D3 L14. However, it has not lost to the Germans in the last three encounters (W2 D1).
- Morten Olsen's men are guaranteed to progress to the quarterfinals if they beat their neighbors, though a draw will be sufficient if Portugal loses to Netherlands.
- Denmark has never lost a European Championship game after scoring first, winning six and drawing four.
- Simon Poulsen, William Kvist, Lars Jacobsen and Jakob Poulsen are a booking away from suspension.
- Germany's last competitive meeting with Denmark came at the final of Euro '92, which it lost 2-0 to hand the Danes their only major title to date.
- A draw would seal top spot in Group B for the Germans, but if they lose they could bow out if Portugal beat Netherlands.
- If he plays, Lukas Podolski (pictured right), 27, will earn his 100th cap for Germany, becoming die Mannschaft's seventh centurion after Thomas Hassler, Franz Beckenbauer, Jurgen Kohler, Jurgen Klinsmann, Lothar Mathaus and Miroslav Klose.
- Holger Badstuber will incur a ban with his next booking.
Top 3 Predictions
Denmark 0-2 Germany
- 19.77 %
Denmark 0-3 Germany
- 17.26 %
Denmark 1-3 Germany
- 13.4 %
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Jun 17, 2012||Denmark 1 - Germany 2|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Aug 11, 2010||Denmark 2 - Germany 2|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Mar 28, 2007||Germany 0 - Denmark 1|
|Nov 15, 2013||Denmark 2 - Norway 1||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Denmark 6 - Malta 0||WCQE|
|Oct 11, 2013||Denmark 2 - Italy 2||WCQE|
|Sep 10, 2013||Armenia 0 - Denmark 1||WCQE|
|Sep 6, 2013||Malta 1 - Denmark 2||WCQE|
|7||William Kvist Jörgensen||Midfielder|
|-||Tobias Pilegaard Mikkelsen|