Euro 2012 Preview: Netherlands - Denmark
The Dutch and the Danes face off for the second major tournament running, with Bert van Marwijk's side hoping to repeat the result of its 2010 World Cup opener.
By Karthick Arvinth
Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Bouma, Willems
De Jong, Van Bommel
Robben, Sneijder, Afellay
Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, S Poulsen
Rommedahl, Eriksen, Krohn-Dehli
Netherlands defender Joris Mathijsen is unlikely to recover from his hamstring injury in time for Saturday's Group B encounter with Denmark in Kharkiv.
PSV's Wilfred Bouma, who played his last competitive game for the Dutch during the previous Euro finals in 2008, could get the nod in central defense over Ron Vlaar owing to his greater experience at international level.
Robin van Persie is set to start ahead of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to spearhead Bert van Marwijk's 4-2-3-1 formation.
Denmark, the 1992 champion, has no injury concerns and could name the same team that beat Australia 2-0 in a pre-tournament friendly in Copenhagen.
Nicklas Bendtner will start in the lone striking role, with support from Ajax starlet Christian Eriksen.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Netherlands has won just three of its last seven official matches (W3, D1, L3).
- The last meeting between the Dutch and the Danes came in their opening game at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, which the Oranje won 2-0.
- The Netherlands was the most prolific side in the qualifying phase, netting 37 goals in 10 games with Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (12) topping the goalscoring charts.
- If he plays, Jetro Willems (pictured right), 18, will become the youngest player ever to grace the European Championship.
- It is 45 years since the Danes' last victory over the Dutch - a 3-2 European Championship qualifying win in Copenhagen on Oct. 4, 1967.
- The teams are meeting each other for the 31st time, with Denmark's record reading W8, D10, L12.
- Morten Olsen's side scored 15 goals in qualifying, the second fewest of all the finalists behind Greece (14) and level with the Czech Republic and France. The Danes did, however, play two games fewer than all those teams.
Top 3 Predictions
Netherlands 2-0 Denmark
- 19.45 %
Netherlands 3-1 Denmark
- 18.84 %
Netherlands 2-1 Denmark
- 13.68 %
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Jun 9, 2012||Netherlands 0 - Denmark 1|
|World Cup 2010 (WC)||Jun 14, 2010||Netherlands 2 - Denmark 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||May 29, 2008||Netherlands 1 - Denmark 1|
|Nov 19, 2013||Netherlands 0 - Colombia 0||FR|
|Nov 16, 2013||Netherlands 2 - Japan 2||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Turkey 0 - Netherlands 2||WCQE|
|Oct 11, 2013||Netherlands 8 - Hungary 1||WCQE|
|Sep 10, 2013||Andorra 0 - Netherlands 2||WCQE|
|2||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|-||Mark van Bommel|
|8||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|16||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
|-||Luuk de Jong|
|7||William Kvist Jörgensen||Midfielder|
|-||Tobias Pilegaard Mikkelsen|