MLS Playoff Preview: Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
Seattle needs to win a franchise first playoff match in hefty fashion or face exiting the postseason at the first hurdle to Salt Lake.
By Zac Lee Rigg
|Seattle Sounders FC (4-4-2): Keller; Riley, Hurtado, Parke, Wahl; Evans, Friberg, Osvaldo, Ferandez; Montero, Fucito.
OUT: GK Terry Boss (concussion); MF Michael Seamon (lateral ankle tendon); MF Steve Zakuani (R leg fracture); FW O’Brian White (leg surgery)
DOUBTFUL: GK Josh Ford (knee pain)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Mauro Rosales (MCL sprain)
PROBABLE: MF Amadou Sanyang (knee sprain)
|Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Russell, Schuler, Borchers, Wingert; Williams, Beckerman, Morales, Johnson; Espindola, Saborio.
OUT: MF Nelson González (R foot fracture)
DOUBTFUL: GK Kyle Reynish (R ankle bone spur); FW Cody Arnoux (L hamstring strain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Jamison Olave (R quadriceps strain); DF Nat Borchers (L quadriceps strain)
PROBABLE: DF Tony Beltran (L adductor strain); MF Ned Grabavoy (L adductor strain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Salt Lake won the first leg 3-0, with Alvaro Saborio scoring a double and Javier Morales assisting twice. Substitute Ned Grabavoy also scored.
- "We're lucky we didn't lose 6-0," Seattle coach Sigi Schmid said. "Everybody was the wrong choice. With the exception of (goalkeeper Kasey) Keller, nobody played real well." Keller made eight saves to keep his team, nominally, in the tie.
- The team posted a miserable 64 percent passing percentage, compared to RSL's 80 percent. The Sounders failed to put a shot on goal, and has only scored one goal in five playoff games, all losses.
- RSL is sweating over the fitness of central defensive pair Nat Borchers and Jamison Olave, both of whom limped out of the first leg with quad strains. The pair traveled to Seattle and will be game-time decisions, with fullback Chris Wingert and option to slide into the middle if neither is cleared.
- The teams traded 2-1 away wins in their regular season matchups. Real snapped a six-game winless run with the 3-0 victory.
Top 3 Predictions
Seattle Sounders FC 2-1 Real Salt Lake
- 20 %
Seattle Sounders FC 1-2 Real Salt Lake
- 20 %
Seattle Sounders FC 1-1 Real Salt Lake
- 10 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 13, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 22, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 30, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 8, 2012||Real Salt Lake 0 - Seattle Sounders FC 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 2, 2012||Seattle Sounders FC 0 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|Seattle Sounders FC|
|Nov 7, 2013||Portland Timbers 3 - Seattle Sounders FC 2||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Oct 30, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Colorado Rapids 0||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||FC Dallas 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 0||MLS|
|34||Jhon Kennedy Hurtado||Defender|
|-||Yordany Alvarez Oropeza||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed