Colorado won the 2010 playoff encounter against Columbus and hosts the 2011 one-off Wild Card match with both sides facing central midfield concerns.
|Colorado Rapids (4-1-4-1): Pickens; Kimura, Moor, Wynne, Comminges; Mullan, Smith, Larentowicz, Thompson; Cummings, Nyassi.
OUT: FW Conor Casey (L Achilles tear); DF Anthony Wallace (R knee arthroscopic surgery)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Pablo Mastroeni (concussion)
PROBABLE: GK Matt Pickens (R groin strain); MF Jamie Smith (R hamstring strain / R calf strain)
|Columbus Crew (4-4-2): Hesmer; Miranda, James, Marshall, Gardner; Gaven, Burns, O'Rourke, Duka; Renteria, Mendoza.||
QUESTIONABLE: MF Danny O'Rourke (L knee tightness); MF Tony Tchani (R knee surgery)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The second of two Wild Card matches pits Colorado against Columbus. The winner will face either Sporting Kansas City or the LA Galaxy, depending on which side advances between FC Dallas and the New York Red Bulls.
- Weather forecasts for Commerce City, Colo. predict snow Wednesday. Thursday should remain clear and sunny, though temperatures will likely have dipped below freezing by the time the game kicks off at 10 p.m. ET.
- Rapids captain Pablo Mastroeni is unlikely to play. The 35-year-old suffered a concussion on Oct. 14 and precaution should prevent the former U.S. international from suiting up.
- These two sides met in the first round of the 2010 playoffs as well. An aggregate 2-2 scoreline led to penalties, which Colorado won on its way to the MLS Cup.
- Danny O'Rourke received a cortisone shot before training Tuesday but still only made it through warm-ups before being told to rest. If he's unfit to play, rookie Rich Balchan or Tony Tchani, who underwent knee surgery two months ago, could replace the suspended Emmanuel Ekpo instead.