International Friendly Preview: USA - Honduras
Jurgen Klinsmann goes in search of his first win as U.S. national team boss when his side hosts Honduras in Florida on Saturday.
By Zac Lee Rigg
|United States (4-3-3): Howard; Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Chandler; Edu, Bradley, Dempsey; Beasley, Altidore, Shea.||
Goalkeepers: Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)
Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt)
|Honduras (3-4-3): Escobar; Chavez, Sabillon, Leveron; Garcia, Espinoza, Mejia, Figueroa; Martinez, Bengtson, Costly.||
Goalkeepers: Donis Escobar (Olimpia), Donaldo Morales (Motagua)
Defenders: Bryan Beckeles (Vida), Osman Chavez (Wisla Krakow), Maynor Figueroa (Wigan Athletic), Jhonny Leveron (Motagua), Erick Norales (Marathon), Mauricio Sabillon (Marathon)
Midfielders: Marvin Chavez (FC Dallas), Jorge Claros (Motagua), Roger Espinoza (Sporting KC), Boniek Garcia (Olimpia), Julio Cesar de Leon (Shandong Luneng), Mario Martinez (Out of Contract), Alfredo Mejia (Real Espana)
Forwards: Jerry Bengston (Vida), Carlo Costly (Houston Dynamo), Roger Rojas (Olimpia)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
The USA has a losing 3-10-4 record in Miami and hasn't won there since 2003. The Sun Life Stadium, where the U.S. national team has never won (0-4-1), hosts its first U.S. match since 1998, a 2-0 loss to the Netherlands.
- The U.S. is 4-1-0 against Honduras in the last five meetings and 11-3-3 all-time. However, only Carlos Bocanegra and Oguchi Oneywu from the current roster have scored against the Catrachos.
- Jurgen Klinsmann is still searching for his first win as coach of the American team. He drew 1-1 against Mexico before posting 1-0 losses to Costa Rica and Belgium.
- Central midfield could be an area of interest in this match. Honduras is without English Premier League duo Hendry Thomas and Wilson Palacios while the U.S. is missing playmakers Jose Torres and Landon Donovan.
- Edson Buddle was a late addition to replace Donovan on the roster. Nick Rimando will fly in Friday after manning the net in a 3-0 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps for Real Salt Lake.
- Julio Cesar de Leon has scored three times against the USA, all in World Cup qualifying. Honduras was one of three CONCACAF nations, along with the U.S. and Mexico, to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.
- Following the match, Honduras will face Jamaica on Tuesday, Oct. 11. The same day, the U.S. will play Ecuador.
Top 3 Predictions
USA 2-1 Honduras
- 29.19 %
USA 2-0 Honduras
- 18.38 %
USA 1-0 Honduras
- 7.03 %
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Feb 6, 2013||Honduras 2 - USA 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Oct 8, 2011||USA 1 - Honduras 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Jan 23, 2010||USA 1 - Honduras 3|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Oct 11, 2009||Honduras 2 - USA 3|
|Gold Cup (GC)||Jul 23, 2009||Honduras 0 - USA 2|
|Mar 26, 2013||Mexico 0 - USA 0||WCQN|
|Mar 22, 2013||USA 1 - Costa Rica 0||WCQN|
|Feb 6, 2013||Honduras 2 - USA 1||WCQN|
|Jan 29, 2013||USA 0 - Canada 0||FR|
|Nov 14, 2012||Russia 2 - USA 2||FR|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed