MLS Preview: New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union
A win or a draw, and the Red Bulls are guaranteed a spot in the MLS Playoffs
By Shane Evans
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Rost; Solli, Keel, Ream, Miller; Lindpere, Tainio, Marquez, Richards; Agudelo, Rodgers||
OUT: DF Chris Albright (R calf strain); MF Sacir Hot (R knee surgery); MF Carl Robinson (R knee contusion); DF Mike Jones (R knee MCL sprain)
|Philadelphia Union (4-1-2-1-2): Mondragon; G. Farfan, Valdes, Califf, Williams; Carroll, Mapp, M. Farfan, Adu; Le Toux, Paunovic.||
OUT: GK Thorne Holder (concussion); FW Levi Houapeu (L ankle strain); FW Veljko Paunovic (R hamstring strain)
DOUBTFUL: DF Joe Tait (R ankle sprain)
PROBABLE: GK Zac MacMath (L ankle sprain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
In the last meeting between these two teams, Philadelphia won the match 1-0, thanks in large part to Red Bulls defender Tim Ream whose terrible back pass was picked off by Danny Mwanga and put away by Union midfielder Roger Torres.
- New York registered 51 points from 30 matches last season, compared to 43 from 33 matches this campaign.
- With their 1-1 draw against Toronto FC last weekend, the Philadelphia Union clinched a spot in the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. This is the club's second season in MLS.
- Union goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon made his return to the lineup against Toronto after missing seven matches with a finger injury.
- Red Bulls leading scorer Thierry Henry will miss the match following his red card in his team's 2-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City last weekend.
- New York has scored 49 goals this season, a number that is tied for most in the Eastern Conference with Sporting Kansas City and D.C. United and is second overall in the league after the Seattle Sounders.
- Philadelphia hasn't lost a match since Sept. 7, a streak of eight games (3-0-5 in that time).
- In last year's visit to Red Bull Arena, Philadelphia lost the match 2-1. In the reverse fixture later in the season, the Union prevailed 2-1 at PPL Park.
Top 3 Predictions
New York Red Bulls 2-1 Philadelphia Union
- 26.42 %
New York Red Bulls 1-0 Philadelphia Union
- 13.21 %
New York Red Bulls 1-2 Philadelphia Union
- 11.32 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 30, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 27, 2012||Philadelphia Union 0 - New York Red Bulls 3|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 21, 2012||New York Red Bulls 2 - Philadelphia Union 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 13, 2012||Philadelphia Union 2 - New York Red Bulls 3|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 20, 2011||New York Red Bulls 1 - Philadelphia Union 0|
|New York Red Bulls|
|May 19, 2013||New York Red Bulls 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||MLS|
|May 11, 2013||New England Revolution 1 - New York Red Bulls 1||MLS|
|May 8, 2013||New York Red Bulls 2 - Montreal Impact 1||MLS|
|May 4, 2013||Columbus Crew 0 - New York Red Bulls 1||MLS|
|Apr 27, 2013||Toronto FC 1 - New York Red Bulls 2||MLS|
|May 18, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Chicago Fire 0||MLS|
|May 15, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 4||MLS|
|May 11, 2013||Chicago Fire 0 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|May 4, 2013||Philadelphia Union 2 - Seattle Sounders FC 2||MLS|
|Apr 27, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Philadelphia Union 0||MLS|
|-||Jan Gunnar Solli||Midfielder|
|-||Carlos Enrique Valdes||Defender|
|11||Sebastien Le Toux||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed