International Friendly Preview: United States - Costa Rica
Can Jurgen Klinsmann get his first victory in his second game as manager of the United States?
By Alex Labidou
|United States (4-2-3-1)
Howard; Chandler, Bocanegra, Fiscal, Castillo; Edu, Torres; Shea, Rogers, Donovan; Altidore
|Costa Rica (4-3-3)
Navas; Umana, Acosta, Mena, Miller; Azofeifa, Barrantes, Guzman; Parks, Saborio, Brenes
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Local Galaxy star Landon Donovan will only play in the match against Costa Rica, while Kyle Beckerman, Steve Cherundolo and Clint Dempsey will join the team in Brussels. Brek Shea will join the group Wednesday after competing in the U.S Open Cup semifinal against Seattle on Tuesday night.
- Twelve of the 21 players on the roster ply their trade overseas with a total of eight different leagues represented across seven countries.
- Fabian Johnson has begun the formal process with FIFA of changing his national association from Germany to the United States. Until that process is completed, he cannot play in a match for the United States. Johnson represented Germany in the 2009 U-21 European Championship, which triggers the requirement that he request a change of association.
- Several of the European-based players are making their debut in a camp with Klinsmann – Jozy Altidore, Timmy Chandler, Clarence Goodson, Sacha Kljestan and Jonathan Spector. Chandler and Goodson had been on the initial roster for Mexico but withdrew with injuries and club concerns.
- Donovan leads all U.S. scorers on the squad with 46 career goals. Carlos Bocanegra and Jozy Altidore are next with 12.
- The U.S. Men's National Team has a nearly unblemished record at The Home Depot Center, compiling an 8-1-2 record since playing its first game in Carson in 2004.
- Costa Rica has hired Jorge Luis Pinto as head coach this week but he won't coach the team against the Stars and Stripes. Interim coach Ronald Gonzalez will be at the helm for the team's game in Los Angeles. Pinto's first game will be against Brazil on Oct. 7.
Top 3 Predictions
USA 2-1 Costa Rica
- 25.18 %
USA 3-1 Costa Rica
- 20.92 %
USA 2-0 Costa Rica
- 18.44 %
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Sep 6, 2013||Costa Rica 3 - USA 1|
|Gold Cup (GC)||Jul 16, 2013||USA 1 - Costa Rica 0|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Mar 22, 2013||USA 1 - Costa Rica 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 2, 2011||USA 0 - Costa Rica 1|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Oct 15, 2009||USA 2 - Costa Rica 2|
|Nov 19, 2013||Austria 1 - USA 0||FR|
|Nov 15, 2013||Scotland 0 - USA 0||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Panama 2 - USA 3||WCQN|
|Oct 11, 2013||USA 2 - Jamaica 0||WCQN|
|Sep 10, 2013||USA 2 - Mexico 0||WCQN|
|-||Michael Barrantes Rojas|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed