International Friendly Preview: Venezuela - Argentina
Alejandro Sabella will coach his first game as coach of the two-time World Cup winner as it battles fellow South Americans in India.
By Roger Gonzalez
|Venezuela (4-4-2): Romo/Hernandez; Vizcarrondo, Cichero, Rosales, Amorebieta; Rincon, Seijas, Gonzalez, Orozco; Fedor and J. Rondon
Cesar Farias will look to Salomon Rondon to bring his scoring touch in the battle against Argentina, while Nicolas Fedor looks set to join the Malaga man up top.
|Argentina (4-3-3) Romero; Zabaleta, Demichelis, Otamendi, Rojo; Gonzalez, Mascherano, Alvarez; Messi, Higuain and Di Maria
Alejandro Sabella will go with four in defense with Martin Demichelis making a return to the national side. The Malaga defender has not played for the senior team since last year's 1-0 victory over Ireland. Lionel Messi, as always, will be in the attack, joined by Real Madrid's attacking duo of Gonzalo Higuain and Angel Di Maria.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Venezuela finished ahead of Argentina in the 2011 Copa America. Farias' men closed out the tournament in fourth place, falling to Peru in the third place match. The opposition for Friday was knocked out in the quarterfinals against Uruguay.
- Since the tournament, Venezuela has played two games, falling to Spain 3-0 before beating Guatemala 2-0.
- Farias became the first coach of Venezuela to guide the country to the semifinals of a Copa America.
- Nine players on the team have never made an appearance in the senior side.
- Argentina will play its first game under the former Estudiantes coach, who takes over the reigns of the national team after the dismissal of Sergio Batista, who was fired after failing to lead the team to glory in the Copa America in July.
- Messi is now the captain of the squad, replacing Barcelona teammate Javier Mascherano.
- Goalkeeper Esteban Andrada is the only player in the team who does not play domestic football in Europe. The talented youngster plays for Lanus of the Argentine first division and may make his first appearance for his country at the senior level.
- Another player who may make his first appearance is the highly-rated Ricardo Alvarez, a lanky, creative midfielder who joined Inter from Velez Sarsfield this summer.
Top 3 Predictions
Venezuela 0-3 Argentina
- 18.53 %
Venezuela 1-3 Argentina
- 18.09 %
Venezuela 0-2 Argentina
- 14.85 %
|WCQ 2014 (Conmebol) (WCQS)||Mar 22, 2013||Argentina 3 - Venezuela 0|
|WCQ 2014 (Conmebol) (WCQS)||Oct 11, 2011||Venezuela 1 - Argentina 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 2, 2011||Venezuela 0 - Argentina 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Mar 15, 2011||Argentina 4 - Venezuela 1|
|WCQ 2014 (Conmebol) (WCQS)||Mar 28, 2009||Argentina 4 - Venezuela 0|
|Oct 11, 2013||Venezuela 1 - Paraguay 1||WCQS|
|Sep 10, 2013||Venezuela 3 - Peru 2||WCQS|
|Sep 6, 2013||Chile 3 - Venezuela 0||WCQS|
|Aug 14, 2013||Venezuela 2 - Bolivia 2||FR|
|Jun 11, 2013||Venezuela 0 - Uruguay 1||WCQS|
|-||Tomás Eduardo Rincón||Midfielder|
|3||Andres Tuñez Arceo||Defender|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed