World Cup Qualifying Preview: Saint Lucia - Canada
The Canadian national team will venture down into the Caribbean to take on Saint Lucia in a World Cup qualifying match.
By Zac Lee Rigg
|St. Lucia (4-4-2): Cassius; Frederick, Edward, Justin, Williams; Pierre, E. George, G. George, G. Joseph; J. Joseph, Paul.||
Goalkeepers: Pesious Polius, Iran Cassius
Defenders: Nathan Justin, Rickson Augustin, Pernal Williams, Fabian Joseph, Bernard Edward, Hiram Hunte, Kurt Fredrick
Midfielders: Tremain Shayne Paul, Kevin Edwards, Zaine Pierre, Guy Joseph, Terran John
Forwards: Jamil Joseph, Enderson George, Cliff Valcin
Note: Roster is not official but includes the players who featured in St. Lucia's previous two World Cup qualifiers.
|Canada (4-3-3): Hirschfeld; Ledgerwood, Edgar, Straith, Jazic; Johnson, de Guzman, De Rosario; Jackson, Simpson, Hume.||
Goalkeepers: Lars Hirschfeld, Kenny Stamatopoulos
Defenders: Nik Ledgerwood, Ashtone Morgan, Kevin McKenna, Adam Straith, David Edgar, Ante Jazić
Midfielders: Julian de Guzman, Will Johnson, Josh Simpson, Joseph Di Chiara, Dwayne De Rosario, Terry Dunfield
Forwards: Iain Hume, Tosaint Ricketts, Simeon Jackson, Olivier Occean
||DID YOU KNOW?|
Canada beat St. Lucia 4-1 on Sept. 2 to kick of CONCACAF Round 2 World Cup qualifying.
- The Canucks lead the group with six points from two games. St. Kitts and Nevis (four points) and Puerto Rico (one point) are also ahead of St. Lucia (no points). Only the top team in the group advances to Round 3 qualifying.
- The Beausejour Cricket Oval, built in 2002 and with a capacity of 13,000, will host the match. "The grass itself is a bit long but it's smooth and it's nice," said Canada coach Stephen Hart. "It's got a cricket pitch in the middle that's basically concrete but other than that it's fine." Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. ET. The game will not be broadcast in Canada with overhead costs proving prohibitive to rights-owner Rogers Sportsnet.
- Kevin McKenna is ruled out with a foot injury, which will necessitate a defensive reshuffle as well as a new captain for the game.
- Dwayne De Rosario could join Dale Mitchell as Canada's all-time leading goalscorer on 19 if he finds the back of the net.
- The goalposts St. Lucia used against St. Kitts and Nevis in September didn't meet FIFA regulations, so new ones are being welded. They weren't ready in time for Canada's training session Thursday requiring the Canucks to improvise with mini-goals.
- Following the match, Canada will return home to host Puerto Rico on Tuesday at BMO Field.
Top 3 Predictions
Saint Lucia 0-2 Canada
- 27.27 %
Saint Lucia 0-5 Canada
- 18.18 %
Saint Lucia 0-3 Canada
- 18.18 %
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Oct 7, 2011||Saint Lucia 0 - Canada 7|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Sep 2, 2011||Canada 4 - Saint Lucia 1|
|Apr 23, 2013||Grenada 2 - Saint Lucia 1||FR|
|Apr 21, 2013||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 0 - Saint Lucia 2||FR|
|Nov 14, 2011||Puerto Rico 3 - Saint Lucia 0||WCQN|
|Nov 11, 2011||Saint Lucia 0 - Puerto Rico 4||WCQN|
|Oct 11, 2011||Saint Kitts and Nevis 1 - Saint Lucia 1||WCQN|
|6||Julian De Guzman||Defender|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||Midfielder|
|-||Joseph Di Chiara|