Champions League Preview: Arsenal - Olympiakos
The Gunners look to have shaken off their below-par start to the Premier League season and will host a team who are notoriously poor travellers in European competition
By David Lynch
Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs
Arteta, Ramsey, Song
Arshavin, Van Persie, Gervinho
Torosidis, Mellberg, Papadopolous, Holebas Abdoun, Fejsa, Fuster, Modesto, Yeste
It has been reported that Theo Walcott has been ruled out with a knee problem, and Andrey Arshavin is likely to come in if that is the case.
Olympiakos favoured a 4-5-1 formation in its first Champions League tie of the season and given the pedigree of its opponents and the location of the game, it is likely it will do the same again.
Striker Kevin Mirallas is the only forward to start each of the Greek side’s three games so far this season and so is most likely to lead the line.
Defender Olof Mellberg will be familiar to Premier League fans having spent seven years of his career at Aston Villa.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- These two sides met in the group stage of the Champions League in 2009, each winning their home tie.
- Neither of these clubs has ever lifted the Champions League in its new or old format. Arsenal was beaten finalists in 2006 and Olympiakos furthest progression was to the quarterfinals.
- Olympiakos has never gained a single point playing in England and has scored only one goal.
- That goal was scored by Brazilian Rivaldo at Anfield in 2004-05 but sparked the comeback which eventually led to a famous Liverpool victory in the competition.
- Arsene Wenger (right) celebrates 15 years as the Gunners’ manager this week. His counterpart Ernesto Valverde has been at Olympiakos just over a year.
- Both managers have suffered the dubious honor of finishing runner-up in a European final. Wenger in the 2006 Champions League final and Valverde in the 2007 UEFA Cup final with Espanyol.
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal 2-0 Olympiakos
- 24.18 %
Arsenal 3-0 Olympiakos
- 21.48 %
Arsenal 3-1 Olympiakos
- 13.82 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 4, 2012||Olympiakos 2 - Arsenal 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 3, 2012||Arsenal 3 - Olympiakos 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 6, 2011||Olympiakos 3 - Arsenal 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 28, 2011||Arsenal 2 - Olympiakos 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 9, 2009||Olympiakos 1 - Arsenal 0|
|Apr 20, 2014||Hull 0 - Arsenal 3||EPL|
|Apr 15, 2014||Arsenal 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Apr 12, 2014||Wigan Athletic 1 - Arsenal 1||FA|
|Apr 6, 2014||Everton 3 - Arsenal 0||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Arsenal 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|7||Ariel Miguel Ibagaza||Midfielder|
|-||Rafik Zoheir Djebbour||Striker|
|17||Jean II Makoun||Midfielder|