Champions League Preview: Ajax - Real Madrid
Frank de Boer's men host the Spanish table-toppers as they look to secure passage to the knockout stages for the first time since 2005-06
By Stefan Coerts
V' der Wiel, Alderw'd, Vertonghen, Anita
Enoh, Eriksen, Janssen
Sulejmani, Lodeiro, Ebecilio
Arbeloa, Albiol, Varane, Coentrao
Xabi Alonso, Sahin
Altintop, Kaka, Callejon
Ajax coach Frank de Boer will still have to make do without the services of defenders Nicolai Boilesen and Bruno Silva due to injury, while midfielder Siem de Jong and striker Kolbeinn Sigthorsson are unavailable as well. Furthermore, winger Derk Boerrigter is doubtful due to ongoing back problems and is unlikely to feature.
However, fullback Gregory van der Wiel is expected to return to the match squad after a brief injury lay off and will start at right back, while Dmitry Bulykin could also make his comeback to the match squad again.
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is expected to rest several key players for Wednesday's encounter at the Amsterdam ArenA, meaning that reserves such as Antonio Adan, Raul Albiol and Hamit Altintop could all get some playing time.
Fullback Alvaro Arbeloa hasn't featured since suffering a hamstring injury in the 3-2 win at Valencia on November 19, but has resumed regular training and could return to the starting XI. Kaka made his comeback from injury against Sporting Gijon and is likely to feature from the start against Ajax.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Ajax has collected only five yellow cards so far, the lowest total in the competition.
- The meeting with Madrid will mark a year and one day since Frank de Boer replaced Martin Jol at the helm; his first game was a 2-0 Champions League victory over AC Milan on 8 December 2010.
- Ajax was beaten 4-0 at home by Madrid in the 2010-11 edition of the Champions League, despite the fact that the guests ended the match with nine man after red cards for Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos.
- Real Madrid is the only team that have been able to find the net against Ajax in Europe this season.
- The Blancos are just one win shy of their club record of 15 consecutive victories in all competitions, set in 1960-61.
- Madrid recorded its 250th win in UEFA competitions on matchday five.
Top 3 Predictions
Ajax 0-3 Real Madrid
- 17.63 %
Ajax 0-2 Real Madrid
- 15.82 %
Ajax 1-3 Real Madrid
- 14.46 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 4, 2012||Real Madrid 4 - Ajax 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 3, 2012||Ajax 1 - Real Madrid 4|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 7, 2011||Ajax 0 - Real Madrid 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 27, 2011||Real Madrid 3 - Ajax 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 23, 2010||Ajax 0 - Real Madrid 4|
|Dec 1, 2013||Den Haag 0 - Ajax 4||ERE|
|Nov 26, 2013||Ajax 2 - Barcelona 1||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Ajax 3 - Heracles Almelo 0||ERE|
|Nov 10, 2013||NEC 0 - Ajax 3||ERE|
|Nov 6, 2013||Ajax 1 - Celtic 0||UCL|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|34||Ricardo van Rhijn||Defender|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|