Champions League Preview: Basel - Manchester United
The Red Devils travel to Switzerland knowing a draw will see them through, while a home win will enable the hosts to qualify from the group stage for the first time since 2003
By Liam Twomey
Steinhofer, Abraham, Dragovic, J.Park
Shaqiri, Huggel, G.Xhaka, F.Frei
Smalling, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra
Nani, Jones, Fletcher, Young
For United, the absence of Michael Carrick through suspension means Sir Alex Ferguson will almost certainly persist with Phil Jones in the center of midfield, with Chris Smalling deputing at right-back.
Up front, the ankle injury sustained by Javier Hernandez means Danny Welbeck is likely to be the man linking up with Wayne Rooney.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Basel needs to win on Wednesday night in order to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages, while a draw will suffice for Manchester United.
- Manchester United is unbeaten in the three previous meetings between the sides, winning once and drawing twice.
- If Basel qualify from Group C, it will be only the second time it has gone beyond the first group stage of the Champions League. The first time, back in 2003, it reached a second group stage, and ultimately missed out on the quarterfinals only by goal difference.
- Manchester United has reached the Champions League final in three of the last four years, and currently sit top of the UEFA club coefficient rankings.
- Basel is currently on a run of nine straight victories in domestic competitions, and have only lost three of their 25 matches in all competitions this season.
- Manchester United has only lost one of its last 25 away matches in the Champions League.
- Both teams have scored in each of the three previous meetings between the sides.
- Basel keeper Yann Sommer and Manchester United stopper David de Gea faced each other in last summer’s European Under-21 Championship final, with De Gea’s Spain triumphing 2-0 over Sommer’s Switzerland.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
Top 3 Predictions
Basel 0-2 Manchester United
- 24.87 %
Basel 1-2 Manchester United
- 14.59 %
Basel 1-3 Manchester United
- 11.54 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 7, 2011||Basel 2 - Manchester United 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 27, 2011||Manchester United 3 - Basel 3|
|Mar 8, 2014||Basel 1 - Sankt Gallen 1||SUI1|
|Mar 2, 2014||FC Thun 2 - Basel 2||SUI1|
|Feb 27, 2014||Basel 3 - Maccabi Tel-Aviv 0||EL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Grashoppers 1 - Basel 1||SUI1|
|Feb 20, 2014||Maccabi Tel-Aviv 0 - Basel 0||EL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|