Champions League Preview: Manchester City - Bayern Munich
The host is reliant on results elsewhere to ensure progression to the knockout stages of the competition, but still need to take three points from the German side.
By Joe Doyle
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Barry, Yaya Toure, Milner
Silva, Dzeko, Aguero
Rafinha, Boateng, Badstuber, Contento
Luiz Gustavo, Tymoshchuk
Olic, Alaba, Usami
Samir Nasri may be the player to miss out, with Edin Dzeko looking set to return to the line-up. Mancini has an interesting choice to make in the full-back slots, where Gael Clichy is likely to be given the nod on the left.
For Bayern Munich, Thomas Muller and Mario Gomez are suffering the flu, but both could feature, having made the trip to England. Arjen Robben and Toni Kroos have also been struck down with flu and remained in Munich to recover.
Midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger remains sidelined with a fractured clavicle, and defender Daniel van Buyten is also nursing a knock. Philipp Lahm may also be given a rest, meaning Diego Contento could feature on the left of defense.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City’s 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena in September is the only time the Premier League leader has failed to score this season in its 23 matches.
- For City to progress, it will have to beat Bayern and hope that Villarreal – which has yet to take a point this season in the competition – is able to deny second-placed Napoli at home.
- Bayern's last visit to England ended in elimination for City’s neighbors Manchester United as the English side went out on away goals in the quarterfinals of the 2009-10 campaign.
- Both teams have four players nominated for the FIFPro World XI. City’s four players are Vincent Kompany, David Silva, Yaya Toure and Serio Aguero.
- Bayern’s players are Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mario Gomez.
- Manuel Neuer won 500,000 euros for charity last month in the German version of the ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?’ television show.
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 1-2 Bayern
- 14.09 %
Manchester City 2-1 Bayern
- 13.3 %
Manchester City 2-0 Bayern
- 9.26 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 10, 2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 2, 2013||Manchester City 1 - Bayern 3|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Aug 1, 2013||Manchester City 1 - Bayern 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 7, 2011||Manchester City 2 - Bayern 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 27, 2011||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 0|
|Dec 17, 2013||Leicester 1 - Manchester City 3||CCUP|
|Dec 14, 2013||Manchester City 6 - Arsenal 3||EPL|
|Dec 10, 2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich 2 - Manchester City 3||EPL|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|