Serie A Preview: Lazio - Napoli
A feisty encounter is on the cards when the two outfits take to the Olimpico on Saturday, as the race for a top-three finish begins to heat up.
By Livio Caferoglu
Scaloni, Biava, Diakite, Konko
Gonzalez, Hernanes, Mauri
C'pagnaro, Cannavaro, Britos, Aronica
Dzemaili, Inler, Hamsik
A surprise 3-1 reverse to Parma last weekend saw Lazio suffer a third defeat in four Serie A matches, but despite its recent poor form, it still leads the way in race for the last Champions League spot.
However, Edy Reja's job isn't made any easier with the news that first-teamers Cristian Brocchi, Andre Dias, Miroslav Klose, Marius Stankevicius, Matuzalem, Stefan Radu and Senad Lulic will all miss out on the game against Napoli.
As a result, a number of changes are on the horizon for the Romans as Mobido Diakite, Lionel Scaloni, Hernanes and Lorik Cana are likely to deputize for the absentees.
For Napoli, coach Walter Mazzarri will be without injured trio Andrea Dossena, Marco Donadel and Christian Maggio. Juan Zuniga and Walter Gargano are suspended. As a result, the 50-year-old is being tipped to switch to a 4-3-1-2 formation from his tried-and-trusted 3-4-3.
Miguel Britos, Blerim Dzemaili and Goran Pandev are the players set to be flung into contention, with Hamsik dropping into midfield from his usual attacking role behind the strikers.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- Lazio has won just one of its last five meetings with Napoli - a 2-0 victory in November 2010.
- The Biancocelesti have been victorious in five of their last six games on home soil.
- Tommaso Rocchi has already scored three goals against the Partenopei and could net his 100th Serie A strike on Saturday.
- Over the last 20 years, Napoli has won just twice at the Olimpico against Lazio.
- Edinson Cavani has scored four goals versus the Biancocelesti, including one of his three Serie A hat tricks.
- Napoli leads in the head-to-head by 38 wins to 34 against Lazio.
Top 3 Predictions
Lazio 2-1 Napoli
- 14.61 %
Lazio 1-3 Napoli
- 12.79 %
Lazio 1-2 Napoli
- 12.1 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||Dec 2, 2013||Lazio 2 - Napoli 4|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Feb 9, 2013||Lazio 1 - Napoli 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Sep 26, 2012||Napoli 3 - Lazio 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Apr 7, 2012||Lazio 3 - Napoli 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Nov 19, 2011||Napoli 0 - Lazio 0|
|Dec 15, 2013||Lazio 2 - Livorno 0||SR-A|
|Dec 12, 2013||Lazio 0 - Trabzonspor 0||EL|
|Dec 8, 2013||Torino 1 - Lazio 0||SR-A|
|Dec 2, 2013||Lazio 2 - Napoli 4||SR-A|
|Nov 28, 2013||Legia Warsaw 0 - Lazio 2||EL|
|26||Morgan De Sanctis||Goalkeeper|
|5||Miguel Angel Britos||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed