MLS Preview: Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
Sporting, unbeaten at home and on a 13-match unbeaten streak, defends its records against the visiting Real Salt Lake in a midweek clash.
By Zac Lee Rigg
Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Besler, Cesar, Sinovic; Espinoza, Stojcev, Jeferson; Bravo, Sapong, Kamara.
OUT: DF Korede Aiyegbusi (concussion); MF Davy Arnaud (sports hernia surgery); DF Aurelien Collin (lower back fracture); MF Craig Rocastle (R knee sprain); MF Konrad Warzycha (R knee surgery)
Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Beltran, Schuler, Borchers, Wingert; Beckerman, Johnson, Grabavoy, Williams; Saborio, Espindola.
OUT: MF Javier Morales (L ankle fracture dislocation); DF Jamison Olave (L knee MCL strain); MF Nelson Gonzalez (broken R foot); GK Kyle Reynish (concussion)
DOUBTFUL: FW Paulo Jr. (L hamstring strain); MF Ned Grabavoy (L hamstring strain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Tony Beltran (L calf strain)
PROBABLE: FW Fabian Espindola (L hamstring strain), FW Alvaro Saborio (R knee swelling)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
Sporting is unbeaten in 13 matches, a club record. The previous record of 12 was set in 2000, when Kansas City won the MLS Cup.
- That record has come in dramatic fashion. KC has scored in the 89th minute or later in three of the last four matches, including a last-gasp strike by Teal Bunbury to dig out a 1-1 draw against the New England Revolution Saturday.
- Salt Lake, with 33 points, sits fifth in the West. Sporting is fourth in the East, despite its more modest 27 point haul.
- RSL is still reeling from two goals in the opening 10 minutes against the 2-0 loss to the Columbus Crew, which gave Columbus its first ever win in Rio Tinto Stadium. It was also only RSL's third loss in Rio Tinto during the MLS regular season.
- Kansas City has never lost in SPORTING Livestrong Park.
- Alvaro Saborio is available again, after sitting out the match against Columbus due to suspension. He should shake off a knee injury to feature in Kansas.
Top 3 Predictions
Sporting Kansas City 0-0 Real Salt Lake
- 19.05 %
Sporting Kansas City 3-2 Real Salt Lake
- 14.29 %
Sporting Kansas City 1-2 Real Salt Lake
- 9.52 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Dec 7, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Real Salt Lake 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 20, 2013||Real Salt Lake 1 - Sporting Kansas City 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 14, 2012||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 17, 2011||Real Salt Lake 1 - Sporting Kansas City 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 3, 2011||Sporting Kansas City 2 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|Sporting Kansas City|
|Dec 7, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 23, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 2 - Houston Dynamo 1||MLS|
|Nov 9, 2013||Houston Dynamo 0 - Sporting Kansas City 0||MLS|
|Nov 6, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 3 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|