Serie A Preview: Juventus - Chievo
The Bianconeri could return to the summit of the league standings if they win and Milan slips up in Sicily on Saturday.
By Adam Scime
Lichtsteiner, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Ceglie
Giaccherini, Pirlo, Marchisio
Quagliarella, Matri, Vucinic
Sardo, Andreolli, Acerbi, Drame
Bradley, Rigoni, Hetemaj
Coming off earning a crucial point against title rival AC Milan courtesy of Alessandro Matri's late strike at San Siro, Antonio Conte's side will hope to put even more pressure on the leader this Sunday as it still has a game in hand despite being one point behind.
However, with midfielder Arturo Vidal suspended after picking up a late red card versus Milan and Pepe also banned, Juve is likely to drop its 3-5-2 experiment and utilize a 4-3-3 with the previously mentioned goalscorer Matri back in the starting XI at the expense of Marco Borriello.
Former Cesena star Emaneule Giaccherini will return to the midfield alongside Italy internationals Andrea Pirlo and Claudio Marchisio while Martin Caceres and Stephan Lichtsteiner will battle it out for a spot at right back.
After a couple wins on the trot, Chievo sits in midtable safety and are nine points above the relegation zone, but veteran striker Sergio Pellissier is suspended so Italy Under-21 international Alberto Paloschi will likely have to toil on his own in attack.
Furthermore, coach Domenico Di Carlo will also be without Nikola Gulan. A serious muscle injury to the young Serbian midfielder is expected to keep the player on loan from Fiorentina out for the next few weeks.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Juventus is the only remaining team with an unbeaten record in Italy's top flight during the 2011-12 campaign (W13 D11 L0).
- The Bianconeri drew Chievo 0-0 earlier this season in Serie A at the Stadio Bentegodi.
- Mirko Vucinic has not scored for Juventus since a 1-1 draw with Cagliari on January 15.
- Chievo has scored just 21 goals this season in Serie A, and only Cesena have scored fewer.
- The Flying Donkeys have won three of their last five Serie A matches.
- Chievo has not lost to Juventus in its past four meetings, last winning 1-0 in January 2010 after a goal from Gennaro Sardo and drawing the following three encounters.
Top 3 Predictions
Juventus 2-0 Chievo
- 35.93 %
Juventus 3-0 Chievo
- 23.71 %
Juventus 3-1 Chievo
- 6.52 %
|Serie A (ITA1)||Feb 3, 2013||Chievo 1 - Juventus 2|
|Serie A (ITA1)||Sep 22, 2012||Juventus 2 - Chievo 0|
|Serie A (ITA1)||Mar 3, 2012||Juventus 1 - Chievo 1|
|Serie A (ITA1)||Oct 16, 2011||Chievo 0 - Juventus 0|
|Serie A (ITA1)||May 9, 2011||Juventus 2 - Chievo 2|
|May 18, 2013||Sampdoria 3 - Juventus 2||ITA1|
|May 11, 2013||Juventus 1 - Cagliari 1||ITA1|
|May 8, 2013||Atalanta 0 - Juventus 1||ITA1|
|May 5, 2013||Juventus 1 - Palermo 0||ITA1|
|Apr 28, 2013||Torino 0 - Juventus 2||ITA1|
|11||Paolo De Ceglie||Defender|
|7||Alessandro Del Piero||Striker|
|21||Nicolas Sebastien Frey||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed