La Liga Preview: Espanyol - Valencia
After a dominating performance on Wednesday, Unai Emery's men are hoping to secure the three points ahead of Thursday's Europa League semifinal showdown.
By Roger Gonzalez
Lopez, Rodriguez, Moreno, Didac
Weiss, Verdu, Garcia
Barragan, Rami, Costa, Mathieu
Hernandez, Canales, Piatti
Espanyol will be without two of its most important players as Philippe Coutinho and Juan Forlin both saw red cards last time out against Osasuna. Raul Rodriguez looks set to replace the Argentine in defense, with Vladimir Weiss looking to take the spot of the young Brazilian.
There was doubt as to whether Sergio Garcia would play after limping off in the 2-0 loss in midweek with injury. He did practice on Friday and looks set to start in this one.
For Valencia, Unai Emery may aim to rest a few players ahead of Thursday's Europa League semifinal match at Atletico Madrid. With the recent returns of Hedwiges Maduro and Sergio Canales from injuries that kept them out for months, the Spanish tactician may look to rotate his squad ahead of the European game.
Roberto Soldado, who is recovering from injury, has stated that he wants to play in this match, but he could be left on the bench with Aritz Aduriz starting as the former Real Madrid man is not fully fit.
On the injury front, Ever Banega is still out with a long-term ankle knock he suffered in February when he ran himself over with his own car. Victor Ruiz aims to return after missing the last match with a minor problem.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Espanyol is in 10th place in the league with 42 points and are just four behind Osasuna for the last Europa League spot.
- Mauricio Pochettino's men are winless in their last five games, losing two and drawing three.
- The hosts last beat Los Che nearly four years go, winning 3-0 at home.
- Valencia is in third place in the league with 52 points.
- After a poor run of form starting in late May that saw the club lose three of four, Unai Emery's side hasn't been defeated in April. The team has two wins totaling eight goals and also earned an impressive draw at Real Madrid on April 8.
- Unai Emery's side is in the Europa League semifinals, where it will play Atletico Madrid in two legs on April 19 and April 26.
Top 3 Predictions
Espanyol 1-3 Valencia
- 21.19 %
Espanyol 0-2 Valencia
- 19.21 %
Espanyol 1-2 Valencia
- 15.89 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||Jan 25, 2014||Valencia 2 - Espanyol 2|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Aug 24, 2013||Espanyol 3 - Valencia 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Apr 13, 2013||Espanyol 3 - Valencia 3|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Nov 17, 2012||Valencia 2 - Espanyol 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Apr 15, 2012||Espanyol 4 - Valencia 0|
|Mar 1, 2014||Getafe 0 - Espanyol 0||LIGA|
|Feb 24, 2014||Espanyol 1 - Villarreal 2||LIGA|
|Feb 16, 2014||Athletic Bilbao 1 - Espanyol 2||LIGA|
|Feb 7, 2014||Espanyol 1 - Ciudad de Murcia 0||LIGA|
|Feb 2, 2014||Betis 2 - Espanyol 0||LIGA|
|16||Javier López Rodríguez||Defender|
|26||Víctor Sánchez Mata||Midfielder|
|20||Aritz Aduriz Zubeldia||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed