La Liga Preview: Rayo Vallecano - Real Madrid
Los Blancos look to extend their already-commanding advantage over Barcelona to 13 points when they return to La Liga action with a short trip across town to the Vallecas
By Karthick Arvinth
Tito, Arribas, Pulido, Casado
Piti, Michu, Trashorras
Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo
Ozil, Kaka, Ronaldo
Rayo Vallecano is boosted by the return from suspension of key trio Michu, Jose Casado and Alejandro Arribas for the visit of Real Madrid on Sunday.
Captain Michel is unlikely to feature after pulling up in training with a hamstring problem, while defender Mikel Labaka is also a doubt with a muscle injury.
The game is likely to come too soon for goalkeeper Dani Gimenez, who has returned to training after four weeks on the sidelines with a thigh injury. Atletico Madrid loanee Joel is expected to continue in goal in his place.
Real Madrid has been hit by the news that Angel Di Maria could be sidelined for up to four weeks after he aggravated a leg injury in last weekend's win over Racing Santander.
In-form striker Karim Benzema will also miss the weekend clash due to a groin injury sustained in the 1-1 Champions League draw at CSKA Moscow, while Lassana Diarra is a doubt as he struggles to shake off a back problem.
Coach Jose Mourinho could opt to rotate his squad for the trip to the Vallecas after a tiring midweek game in the bitter cold of the Russian capital. Defender Alvaro Arbeloa is available again after serving a one-match suspension and may feature.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Rayo Vallecano is on a three-game winning streak that has seen it climb to eighth in the Primera Division standings.
- Los Franjirrojos have lost six of their last 10 league fixtures played at the Vallecas.
- Rayo midfielder Michu (pictured) scored against Real after just 17 seconds in the reverse fixture in September - the fastest-ever goal scored at the Bernabeu by a visiting team.
- Real Madrid has won eight of its last nine meetings with Rayo Vallecano.
- The Castilian club's last defeat at the Vallecas came way back in 1997, when Lorenzo Sanz was club president and Fabio Capello was in his first coaching spell at the Bernabeu.
- If Cristiano Ronaldo scores a hat trick, he will become the first player in 18 years to score two hat tricks against the same opponent in a single La Liga season.
Top 3 Predictions
Rayo Vallecano 0-4 Real Madrid
- 15.77 %
Rayo Vallecano 0-5 Real Madrid
- 13.22 %
Rayo Vallecano 0-3 Real Madrid
- 10.94 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||Nov 2, 2013||Rayo Vallecano 2 - Real Madrid 3|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Feb 17, 2013||Real Madrid 2 - Rayo Vallecano 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Sep 24, 2012||Rayo Vallecano 0 - Real Madrid 2|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Feb 26, 2012||Rayo Vallecano 0 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Sep 24, 2011||Real Madrid 6 - Rayo Vallecano 2|
|Dec 19, 2013||Rayo Vallecano 3 - Valladolid 1||ESPC|
|Dec 14, 2013||Rayo Vallecano 0 - Ciudad de Murcia 2||LIGA|
|Dec 6, 2013||Valladolid 0 - Rayo Vallecano 0||ESPC|
|Dec 1, 2013||Betis 2 - Rayo Vallecano 2||LIGA|
|Nov 24, 2013||Rayo Vallecano 1 - Espanyol 4||LIGA|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed