La Liga Preview: Malaga - Real Madrid
Manuel Pellegrini and Jose Mourinho lock horns as their sides meet each other in Saturday night La Liga action
By Martin Macdonald
Gamez, Demichelis, Mathijsen, Monreal
Cazorla, Toulalan, Maresca
Joaquin, Van Nistelrooy, Isco
Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo
Kaka, Ozil, Ronaldo
Malaga only has one major injury concern and that is Julio Baptista, who is still recovering from a foot problem. The Brazilian did not take part in Thursday's training session, and it is touch and go whether the former Real Madrid man will face his former club.
Manuel Pellegrini's side will also be without goalkeeper Willy Caballero, who is suspended after receiving a straight red card in the last Primera Division match, a 3-0 defeat against Levante.
Madrid will still be without Raul Albiol, who is currently sidelined after fracturing his cheekbone on international duty. There are still concerns over the fitness of Ricardo Carvalho and Nuri Sahin, with both expected to miss the match at La Rosaleda.
Kaka started the last Liga match against Betis and scored a wonderful goal to complement a very good performance, and with Angel di Maria somewhat off-form midweek, the Brazilian may once again be given another opportunity.
Jose Mourinho is spoiled in his attacking options at the moment, with both Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain in excellent form. However, the Argentine may just get the nod after scoring a magnificent hat-trick in his last start.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Malaga has scored less than half the amount of goals that Real Madrid has notched up in La Liga this season, with 10 goals to 24.
- Manuel Pellegrini's side spent 58 million euros on new recruits during the summer transfer window.
- Malaga's top goalscorer last season in La Liga was Jose Rondon with 14 goals, 26 less than Madrid's highest marksman Cristiano Ronaldo. The Portuguese netted 40, a division record.
- Real Madrid has scored 21 goals in its last five games.
- The last encounter between Real Madrid and Malaga came in March of this year when Jose Mourinho's men destroyed the visitors 7-0. Ronaldo fired a hat-trick.
- If Jose Mourinho's men lose this match, then Malaga will join them on 16 points in La Liga.
Top 3 Predictions
Malaga 0-4 Real Madrid
- 14.09 %
Malaga 0-3 Real Madrid
- 13.79 %
Malaga 1-4 Real Madrid
- 11.35 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||Mar 15, 2014||Malaga 0 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Oct 19, 2013||Real Madrid 2 - Malaga 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||May 8, 2013||Real Madrid 6 - Malaga 2|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Dec 22, 2012||Malaga 3 - Real Madrid 2|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Mar 18, 2012||Real Madrid 1 - Malaga 1|
|Apr 21, 2014||Malaga 2 - Villarreal 0||LIGA|
|Apr 14, 2014||Athletic Bilbao 3 - Malaga 0||LIGA|
|Apr 6, 2014||Malaga 4 - Ciudad de Murcia 1||LIGA|
|Mar 31, 2014||Betis 1 - Malaga 2||LIGA|
|Mar 25, 2014||Malaga 1 - Espanyol 2||LIGA|
|21||Sebastián Fernández Miglierina||Striker|
|22||Ruud Van Nistelrooy||Striker|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed