MLS Preview: Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew
Just a month after their most recent meeting, two of the Eastern Conference's finest square off at PPL Park.
By Seth Vertelney
|Philadelphia Union (4-4-2): MacMath; Williams, Califf, Valdes, M. Farfan; Mapp, Torres, Miglioranzi, Adu; Le Toux, Paunovic.||
OUT: GK Faryd Mondragon (R ring finger fracture); FW Levi Houapeu (L ankle strain)
DOUBTFUL: MF Justin Mapp (L quad strain)
PROBABLE: FW Veljko Paunovic (L calf strain); FW Sebastien Le Toux (L hip pointer)
Columbus Crew (4-4-2): Hesmer; Miranda, Balchan, James, Gardner; Duka, Meram, Burns, Rogers; Mendoza, Heinemann.
OUT: MF Tony Tchani (R knee surgery); MF Eddie Gaven (R lower leg contusion); FW Emilio Renteria (concussion)
DOUBTFUL: MF Bernardo Anor (R ankle sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: GK Andy Gruenebaum (R thumb fracture); GK Alex Riggs (concussion)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams met on Aug. 20 in Columbus, with Columbus coming out on top in a 2-1 decision that solidified its spot atop the Eastern Conference.
In its three games since that match, however, the Crew has lost twice and tied once. The string of poor results has seen its lead in the East cut to just one point, with Sporting Kansas City in second place.
- The Union drew 0-0 at home against Portland last weekend, a disappointing result, but one that saw rookie goalkeeper Zac MacMath record his first MLS shutout.
- Columbus will be without some key players in this match. Eddie Gaven and Chad Marshall could miss the match through injury, Emilio Renteria is definitely out with a concussion, and Emmanuel Ekpo will sit out with a red card suspension.
- Philadelphia has not won an MLS match since a 3-0 win over New England on July 17.
- The Union have signed two players from the USL ranks in the past two days: defender Joe Tait from the Dayton Dutch Lions and midfielder midfielder Morgan Langley from the Harrisburg City Islanders.
Top 3 Predictions
Philadelphia Union 2-2 Columbus Crew
- 18.18 %
Philadelphia Union 1-1 Columbus Crew
- 18.18 %
Philadelphia Union 1-2 Columbus Crew
- 18.18 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 5, 2013||Philadelphia Union 3 - Columbus Crew 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 6, 2013||Columbus Crew 1 - Philadelphia Union 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 29, 2012||Columbus Crew 3 - Philadelphia Union 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 29, 2012||Philadelphia Union 1 - Columbus Crew 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 14, 2012||Philadelphia Union 1 - Columbus Crew 0|
|Mar 8, 2014||Portland Timbers 1 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|Oct 26, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Sporting Kansas City 2||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||Montreal Impact 2 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|Oct 12, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|Oct 5, 2013||Philadelphia Union 1 - Toronto FC 0||MLS|
|22||Carlos Enrique Valdes||Defender|
|11||Sebastien Le Toux||Midfielder|