MLS Preview: San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
Portland got back to winning ways midweek. However, San Jose's winless streak has stretched to nine, a record since the club rejoined the league in 2008.
By Zac Lee Rigg
San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Ward, Burling, Attakora, Corrales; Wondolowski, Cronin, Stephenson, Peterson; Gordon, Sealy.
OUT: MF Andre Luiz (L knee injury); DF Ike Opara (L foot injury)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Steven Beitashour (R leg injury); FW Alan Gordon (R quadriceps strain); MF Simon Dawkins (R hamstring strain)
PROBABLE: DF Jason Hernandez (R calf strain)
Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Perkins; Palmer, Brunner, Horst, Chabala; Zizzo, Marcelin, Chara, Nagbe; Perlaza, Cooper.
OUT: DF Kevin Goldthwaite (L knee ACL rupture); FW Spencer Thompson (R knee)
PROBABLE: FW Bright Dike (R Achilles rupture); DF Jeremy Hall (groin soreness); MF Jack Jewsbury (hamstring strain); GK Troy Perkins (R hip soreness)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Earthquakes' winless run extended to nine games in a 2-0 home loss to D.C. United last weekend, their longest stretch without a victory since the club came back into MLS in 2008.
The Quakes have scored just four goals in that stretch, shut out in seven of those nine games.
- Portland snapped a six-game home winless streak Wednesday by beating the LA Galaxy 3-0.
- Captain Jack Jewsbury will likely miss out with a hamstring strain. Kenny Cooper took his place against LA, with the formation switching to a 4-4-2.
- San Jose striker Steven Lenhart was granted an indefinite leave of absence to attend to family matters and will miss the match.
- While the teams are meeting for the first time in league play, they played in the second round of U.S. Open Cup play-in matches. Ike Opara’s goal in the final minute of extra time gave the Earthquakes a 1-0 win May 3 at Jeld-Wen Field, the Timbers’ first loss to an MLS side at home.
Top 3 Predictions
San Jose Earthquakes 1-2 Portland Timbers
- 20 %
San Jose Earthquakes 0-2 Portland Timbers
- 20 %
San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 Portland Timbers
- 15 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 27, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - Portland Timbers 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 21, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Portland Timbers 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 14, 2013||Portland Timbers 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 27, 2012||Portland Timbers 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 19, 2012||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - Portland Timbers 2|
|San Jose Earthquakes|
|Apr 13, 2014||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Columbus Crew 1||MLS|
|Mar 29, 2014||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - New England Revolution 2||MLS|
|Mar 22, 2014||Sporting Kansas City 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|Mar 19, 2014||Toluca 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 1||CCL|
|Mar 15, 2014||San Jose Earthquakes 3 - Real Salt Lake 3||MLS|