MLS Preview: Portland Timbers - LA Galaxy
In a miserable run of form, expansion side Portland won't relish the timing of the Galaxy's visit. LA boasts the best record in MLS and is unbeaten in 14.
By Zac Lee Rigg
Portland Timbers (4-1-4-1): Perkins; Chabala, Danso, Brunner, Palmer; Jewsbury; Alhassan, Nagbe, Chara, Zizzo; E. Johnson.
OUT: DF Kevin Goldthwaite (L knee ACL rupture); FW Spencer Thompson (R knee)
PROBABLE: FW Bright Dike (R Achilles rupture); DF Jeremy Hall (groin soreness); GK Troy Perkins (R hip soreness); FW Jorge Perlaza (R calf strain)
LA Galaxy (4-4-2): Saunders; DeLaGarza, Gonzalez, Berhalter, Dunvant; Franklin, Juninho, Stephens, Donovan; Angel, Lopez.
OUT: DF Sean Alvarado (R knee surgery); DF Leonardo (R knee surgery); GK Donovan Ricketts (L ulna fracture)
QUESTIONABLE: FW Chad Barrett (R knee sprain); MF David Beckham (back spasms); MF Jovan Kirovski (L ankle sprain)
PROBABLE: DF Omar Gonzalez (nose fracture)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
Both of these sides played Canadian opposition Saturday. The Galaxy easily dispatched the Vancouver Whitecaps, hitting four second-half goals to coast to a 4-0 win. Portland capitulated late to draw 2-2 with Toronto FC after taking a two-goal lead.
- On paper, this game looks like a mismatch. LA boasts the best record in the league, with 45 points. Portland sits second from bottom in the West, with 22 points.
- The only time these two teams have met in MLS play, Landon Donovan scored a brace to pave the way to a 3-0 triumph in California.
- However, the Timbers boast a far better record in the confines of JEN-WELD Field, with its ferocious home support. Of Portland's 22 points this year, 17 have come at home. Still, Portland's recent form has been miserable, with just one win in the last 10, including six in a row without a win at home.
- Should the Galaxy avoid defeat, it will tie a club record streak of 15 matches without a loss.
- Landon Donovan's two goals last weekend tied two benchmarks. They marked his 10th and 11th strikes of the season, tying him for the league lead with Thierry Henry. Also, he now has 114 league goals, tied for third most in MLS history with Ante Razov.
Top 3 Predictions
Portland Timbers 0-2 Los Angeles Galaxy
- 28.3 %
Portland Timbers 1-2 Los Angeles Galaxy
- 18.87 %
Portland Timbers 1-3 Los Angeles Galaxy
- 16.98 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 29, 2013||Portland Timbers 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 13, 2013||Portland Timbers 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 19, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - Portland Timbers 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 14, 2012||Portland Timbers 3 - Los Angeles Galaxy 5|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 17, 2012||Los Angeles Galaxy 1 - Portland Timbers 0|
|Nov 24, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 10, 2013||Real Salt Lake 4 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Nov 7, 2013||Portland Timbers 3 - Seattle Sounders FC 2||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Oct 26, 2013||Chivas USA 0 - Portland Timbers 5||MLS|
|Los Angeles Galaxy|
|Nov 7, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||MLS|
|Nov 3, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 1 - Real Salt Lake 0||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1||MLS|
|Oct 24, 2013||A.D. Isidro Metapán 4 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||CCL|
|Oct 20, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|21||Diego Ferney Chará||Midfielder|
|-||Juan Pablo Angel||Striker|