MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake - San Jose Earthquakes
Salt Lake returns from an unplanned two-week break ready to gobble up some of its games in hand. Next up is the visiting Earthquakes.
By Zac Lee Rigg
Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Wingert, Borchers, Olave, Beltran; Johnson, Beckerman, Grabavoy, Williams; Espindola, Saborio.
OUT: MF Javier Morales (L ankle fracture dislocation); FW Paulo Jr. (L hamstring strain)
PROBABLE: FW Fabian Espindola (L hamstring strain); FW Alvaro Saborio (R knee swelling)
San Jose Earthquakes (4-5-1): Busch; Leitch, Burling, Hernandez, Corrales; Peterson, Dawkins, Ring, Stephenson, Wondolowski; Lenhart.
OUT: MF Andre Luiz (L knee injury); DF Ike Opara (L foot injury)
DOUBTFUL: DF Steven Beitashour (R leg injury)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Bobby Convey (L knee contusion); FW Alan Gordon (R quadriceps strain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
With three games in hand, Salt Lake (tied for fourth in the Western conference) has six more points than San Jose (sixth). Were it to win the five games in hand it has over league-leading LA Galaxy, RSL would overtake LA. Of course, it also says something here about birds and bushes and hands.
- RSL hasn't played since July 9. Last week's scheduled match against the Vancouver Whitecaps was postponed due to an unplayable pitch and will be rescheduled.
- The Earthquakes hosted the very same Whitecaps Wednesday, drawing 2-2. Prior to that match, San Jose had failed to score in four of its previous five games.
- Salt Lake is unbeaten in six. Fabian Espindola has scored in two straight games.
- Nana Attakora and Alan Gordon, acquired in a trade for Ryan Johnson with Toronto FC, have yet to make their San Jose debuts.
- When these two sides met in California in the first matchday of the season, RSL took a 1-0 win thanks to a Kyle Beckerman strike.
Top 3 Predictions
Real Salt Lake 2-0 San Jose Earthquakes
- 32.35 %
Real Salt Lake 1-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 20.59 %
Real Salt Lake 3-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 17.65 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 21, 2013||Real Salt Lake 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 1, 2013||Real Salt Lake 3 - San Jose Earthquakes 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 3, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Real Salt Lake 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 14, 2012||San Jose Earthquakes 5 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 23, 2012||Real Salt Lake 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 2|
|Real Salt Lake|
|Dec 7, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 24, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 10, 2013||Real Salt Lake 4 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Nov 7, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 0||MLS|
|Nov 3, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 1 - Real Salt Lake 0||MLS|