MLS Preview: D.C. United - New England Revolution
These two Northeast foes link up in mean times, with New England making the trip down to D.C. riding a nine-game winless streak.
By Zac Lee Rigg
D.C. United (4-4-2): Hamid; Kitchen, White, McDonald, Woolard; Najar, Simms, De Rosario, Pontius; Davies, Wolff.
OUT: MF Branko Boskovic (L ACL tear); MF Brandon Barklage (concussion); DF Devon McTavish (concussion); MF Santino Quaranta (concussion); DF Jed Zayner (L knee sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Marc Burch (R hamstring strain)
PROBABLE: DF Dejan Jakovic (L hamstring strain); FW Josh Wolff (L hamstring strain)
New England Revolution (4-4-2): Reis; Alston, Cochrane, Soares, Barnes; Boggs, Joseph, Phelan, Tierney; Lekic, Mansally.
OUT: FW Kheli Dube (whiplash)
PROBABLE: DF Kevin Alston (L hamstring tightness); MF Zak Boggs (L high ankle sprain); DF Ryan Cochrane (L foot pain); DF Chris Tierney (L hamstring tightness)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
Though D.C. United edges the all-time record (25 wins to 22, with eight draws), the Revolution has won the four last encounters.
- D.C. is unbeaten in five, and last week posted its first back-to-back clean sheets since August 2009.
- After extending his stay for two more games, midfielder Fred will be available against New England, which will be his last MLS match before joining A-League side Melbourne Victory.
- New England is in the midst of a nine-game winless run and lost 3-0 to the Philadelphia Union last weekend. "I think the first half is about worse as I've been here," coach Steve Nicol said of that match. "It was like watching a bunch of schoolboys." New England didn't register a shot, a first for the club since September, 2009.
- Benny Feilhaber will not be available after collecting two yellow cards against the Union. However, captain Shalrie Joseph is back in contention after missing out due to yellow-card accumulation against Philly.
- The Revs have room to make some moves, after releasing Didier Domi and seeing Ousmane Dabo retire this week.
Top 3 Predictions
D.C. United 2-0 New England Revolution
- 25 %
D.C. United 2-1 New England Revolution
- 25 %
D.C. United 1-2 New England Revolution
- 12.5 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 21, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - D.C. United 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 27, 2013||D.C. United 1 - New England Revolution 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 8, 2013||New England Revolution 0 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 15, 2012||D.C. United 2 - New England Revolution 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 26, 2012||D.C. United 3 - New England Revolution 2|
|Mar 8, 2014||D.C. United 0 - Columbus Crew 3||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Houston Dynamo 2||MLS|
|Oct 18, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - D.C. United 0||MLS|
|Oct 12, 2013||D.C. United 1 - Philadelphia Union 1||MLS|
|Oct 4, 2013||D.C. United 0 - Chicago Fire 3||MLS|
|New England Revolution|
|Mar 8, 2014||Houston Dynamo 4 - New England Revolution 0||MLS|
|Nov 6, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 3 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|
|Oct 27, 2013||Columbus Crew 0 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||New England Revolution 3 - Columbus Crew 2||MLS|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||Midfielder|
|13||Austin da Luz||Midfielder|