MLS Preview: Portland Timbers - Seattle Sounders FC
Portland and Seattle resume a rivalry that long predates MLS in the second meeting between the sides this season.
By Zac Lee Rigg
Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Perkins; Purdy, Brunner, Danso, Wallace; Nagbe, Chara, Jewsbury, Alhassan; Cooper, Perlaza.
OUT: FW Spencer Thompson (R knee); DF Rodney Wallace (L knee)
DOUBTFUL: FW Bright Dike (R Achilles rupture); DF David Horst (L hip flexor)
PROBABLE: DF Mamadou Danso (L shoulder); MF Jack Jewsbury (hamstring strain); MF Peter Lowry (L quadriceps strain)
Seattle Sounders FC (4-4-2): Keller; Riley, Hurtado, Parke, Wahl; Fernandez, Alonso, Evans, Rosales; Montero, Levesque.
OUT: FW O’Brian White (L leg surgery); MF Steve Zakuani (R leg fracture)
PROBABLE: MF Brad Evans (hamstring strain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
Seattle was Portland's first and last opponent in the NASL, both matches won by the Sounders with a 1-0 scoreline. The two teams revived the rivalry in the USL and, this season, in MLS. By now the antagonism has created perhaps the most intense derby in America.
- The 1-1 draw earlier in the season was the 75th meeting between these two sides in the rivalry that stretches back to 1975. Alvaro Fernandez and Mamadou Danso scored in the May 14 tie.
- Seattle comes into this one in a club record-tying seven-match unbeaten run. Portland, however, hasn't won in six, including a 2-1 loss to Sporting KC last weekend. Since winning its first five home matches, Portland has lost three and won one at JELD-WEN Field.
- In that match against Sporting, Darlington Nagbe scored his first professional goal with a stunning volley which has garnered over 1 million views on YouTube.
- Seattle will wear its third 'Electricity' kit for this match. The retina-searing jersey will also make an appearance in the U.S. Open Cup match against the LA Galaxy midweek and then a week later in a friendly with Manchester United.
- Pele played his last competitive match on JELD-WEN Field, though it bore the less silly moniker Civic Stadium at the time. It was the 1977 NASL title match which the New York Cosmos won. The opponents? The Seattle Sounders, of course.
Top 3 Predictions
Portland Timbers 1-2 Seattle Sounders FC
- 32.76 %
Portland Timbers 0-2 Seattle Sounders FC
- 15.52 %
Portland Timbers 1-3 Seattle Sounders FC
- 10.35 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 7, 2013||Portland Timbers 3 - Seattle Sounders FC 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 2, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 13, 2013||Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 25, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 16, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 1|
|Nov 24, 2013||Portland Timbers 0 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 10, 2013||Real Salt Lake 4 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Nov 7, 2013||Portland Timbers 3 - Seattle Sounders FC 2||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|Oct 26, 2013||Chivas USA 0 - Portland Timbers 5||MLS|
|21||Diego Ferney Chará||Midfielder|
|34||Jhon Kennedy Hurtado||Defender|