MLS Preview: Vancouver Whitecaps - Columbus Crew
Both these sides come off demoralizing defeats on the weekend looking for a midweek pick-me-up.
By Zac Lee Rigg
Vancouver Whitecaps (4-3-3): Cannon, Leathers, Boxall, Rochat, Wagner; Salinas, Koffie, Dunfield, Brovsky; Camilo, Hassli.
OUT: DF Jay DeMerit (R adductor strain); FW Atiba Harris (R knee surgery)
DOUBTFUL: MF John Thorrington (R calf strain)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Davide Chiumiento (R hamstring strain); FW Eric Hassli (R foot contusion)
Columbus Crew (4-4-1-1): Hesmer; Miranda, Marshall, O'Rourke, Gardner; Gaven, Anor, Rusmir, Rogers; Heinemann, Mendoza.
OUT: DF Josh Williams (R hip labral tear); MF Dilly Duka (R ankle sprain); DF Rich Balchan (L adductor strain); MF Leandre Griffit (abdominal strain)
DOUBTFUL: DF Shaun Francis (L hamstring strain); FW Emilio Renteria (L quad strain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
The only time in history these two teams have met was earlier in the season when an Emilio Renteria brace eased Columbus to a 2-1 win at Crew Stadium.
- Vancouver has lost three straight in all competitions, including two by one-goal margins to Canadian rival Toronto FC last week. Prior to this current run of bad form, the Whitecaps also went on a 14-match winless streak earlier in the season.
- Both Emmanuel Ekpo (yellow-card accumulation) and Andy Iro (ejected against FC Dallas for two yellows) are suspended for this match.
- The Dallas game did boster the Crew's roster, however, with Robbie Rogers (Gold Cup) and Danny O'Rourke (knee surgery) returning to the lineup.
- Davide Chiumiento is second in MLS with seven assists but likely won't feature from the start against Columbus. Also missing out is Jay DeMerit, with Alain Rochat likely to move into the middle of defense to cover. Greg Janicki is an option, but coach Tom Soehn was the man who cut Janicki in 2009 when the two were at D.C. United. Janicki eventually worked his way back into the league by signing with the then-USL Whitecaps.
- Andres Mendoza has begun earning his Designated Player wages this year with six goals in the past seven games. He is now one goal off the four-way league lead of eight on the season.
Top 3 Predictions
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1 Columbus Crew
- 27.78 %
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-2 Columbus Crew
- 11.11 %
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0-2 Columbus Crew
- 11.11 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 9, 2013||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - Columbus Crew 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 28, 2012||Columbus Crew 0 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 6, 2011||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 - Columbus Crew 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 30, 2011||Columbus Crew 2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1|
|Vancouver Whitecaps FC|
|May 18, 2013||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - Portland Timbers 2||MLS|
|May 15, 2013||Montreal Impact 0 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0||NCC|
|May 11, 2013||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1||MLS|
|May 4, 2013||Real Salt Lake 2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0||MLS|
|May 1, 2013||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - FC Edmonton 0||NCC|
|7||Camilo Da Silva Sanvezzo||Striker|